Move and rent out, live in & save for more rentals, sell

Move and rent out, live in & save for more rentals, sell

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

Ok so this is a long one, stay with me here, I could really use some advice. I will try to keep this as short and to the point as possible but heres the need to know info. Brace yourself for a couple follow up questions. I am a single guy in my early 30's and I've recently refinanced my house I am living in currently. I have the long term goal of financial independence with supplemental income from rentals. I currently do not have any rentals but would like to have a couple in 10 years or less. After my refinance, the numbers roughly work out to a savings of $450 a month and my mortgage now is just over $1k a month. My question is: should i live in the refinanced house that would allow me to save and invest the savings from the refinance ($450 a month) into mutual funds, orrrrrrr would it be better for me to move out, rent a cheaper place for myself, @ <$1000 a month? I can rent the house for around $1600 a month (side income of roughly $500 a month ($1600 rent - roughly $1k mortgage= roughly $500 a month). My If i rent, how much should I have as a security/home improvement fund for my rentals to cover unforseen expenses, missed rent, and repairs? Thank you guys for all your help

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    6y

    Hey @Brandon Smith, welcome to the BP community!

    Definitely far from the longest post I have seen on here, but there are a few things to unpack.

    First, I would say that if you aren't sure whether to go the stock market or real estate route, you need to sit down and figure out when you would like to reach that financial independence. If it is in 30 years when you retire, then yeah low expense mutual funds will probably be just fine. If you want to make this happen in the next ten years or so then forget about mutual funds and go all in on real estate. Real estate investing is more like starting a business than it is "investing" in the traditional sense. You are creating something that when properly managed will provide you with a steady stream of income, a.k.a, a business. So, where do you want to be in ten years? What do you want your life to look like? Now, work backwards from there to start setting some goals and a rough path will begin to form. You should now know the answer to that first question.

    Now, let's address the feasibility of turning your current home into a cash-flowing rental. So PI is about $1k on your home and you can rent it out for $1.6k. That leaves you with about $600. From this you need to subtract TI (taxes & insurance), vacancy, repairs & maintenance, capex and property management. Vacancy really depends on the area but 10% is typically a good, conservative estimate. Repairs & maintenance will depend on the condition of the home. If it's in great condition and everything is fairly new, you're looking at about 5%. If it's old and there is a lot of deferred work, you're looking more in the 8-10% range. Capex you can calculate in a similar way. However, since you know the home so well, you should know how old every system is (HVAC, roof, hot h2o heater, etc.). Find out about how much life each has left and budget their replacements into your monthly expenses. Finally, for property management you'll want to use 10% for your cash flow calculations because, even if you plan to self-manage, this could change.

    Hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to message me anytime if you have other questions or just want to chat!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.