I am starting a Real Estate Investment fund. I need help

I am starting a Real Estate Investment fund. I need help

Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 17 votes

I am a real estate broker and builder here in houston texas and have been in the real estate construction industry for alittle over 10 years. I want to start a real estate investment fund to address a couple things that, in my opinion, is just common sense. 

My goal is to raise $5m for projects I already own free and clear land for but I want to raise minimum $100m to $200m. 

3 things I want to accomplish:

1.) Build socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable products. In my opinion, spray foam insulation, UV reflective paint, fresh air systems, and solar panels should be standard in all new homes built in the last 2-3 years at an affordable price. Who wouldn't want to live or own property that is close to zero maintenance cost and uses close to zero energy (or clean energy). I've made a commitment for all of my new homes to include all or most of what I just mentioned starting around $275k whether or not I am successful in creating and launching this fund.

2.) Build a new pre-fabrication facility that integrates robotics into the manufacturing process. 

3.) With an over demand for skilled tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, carpenters), it seems like middle school and high school kids don't know that these career paths can provide a great living without the burden of getting a 4 year degree. This needs to change.

I need any help, advise, or feedback. 

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y

I really would love to see america's youth jump back into the trades and get off the computer. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vendor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I can appreciate your vision, unfortunately I have no where near that type of capital. but I wish you all the luck. It's really a great thing you're trying to do.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    I really would love to see america's youth jump back into the trades and get off the computer. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Wow. Lofty and noble goals. Very cool!

    Honesty, I'd start with the development you have. Having the land is huge. Build out as you can for now. Spec or custom. 

    I mainly wanted to chime in to say I have 2 boys both interested in the trades and I'm proud of them.  There is hope! 

    4yr degrees and debt and sitting in classrooms doesn't interest them or a lot of their friends.  My senior can't wait to put his toolbags back on after track season. Here's to the trades!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    Wow. Lofty and noble goals. Very cool!

    Honesty, I'd start with the development you have. Having the land is huge. Build out as you can for now. Spec or custom. 

    I mainly wanted to chime in to say I have 2 boys both interested in the trades and I'm proud of them.  There is hope! 

    4yr degrees and debt and sitting in classrooms doesn't interest them or a lot of their friends.  My senior can't wait to put his toolbags back on after track season. Here's to the trades!

    Steve I have one of each

    My daughter got a 4 year degree from Davis and is now semi senior management at Intel knocking down some fat checks.

    My son is a GC and is building 3 homes for me right now.. but he cut his teeth doing small rehabs for us.. then trained himself to be one heck of a finish carpenter to now he can build them as the GC from ground up.  On the west coast though i keep trying to get him to take spanish class's.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Okorie You should look into opportunity zones.

    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/real-estate-investors-finally-gain-clarity-funds-new-castelli-cpa

  • Rental Property Investor · North Conway, NH · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 26 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    My son is a GC and ... i keep trying to get him to take spanish class's.

     
    I'd recommend a girlfriend (to help him with the Spanish).

    With regards to the idea - fantastic. And we're kindred spirits. 3 yrs ago I was on a kick to start a private REIT... would love to chat more.

    Also, my background includes single ply roofing (for energy savings and more) ... and I've started making LOTS of Youtube playlists... scroll to the right for more and more ideas www.bit.ly/PAFyoutube


    I'd love to chat more and more!

    Parker

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Parker Fairfield:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    My son is a GC and ... i keep trying to get him to take spanish class's.

     
    I'd recommend a girlfriend (to help him with the Spanish).

    With regards to the idea - fantastic. And we're kindred spirits. 3 yrs ago I was on a kick to start a private REIT... would love to chat more.

    Also, my background includes single ply roofing (for energy savings and more) ... and I've started making LOTS of Youtube playlists... scroll to the right for more and more ideas www.bit.ly/PAFyoutube


    I'd love to chat more and more!

    Parker

     Thanks I'll send you a pm with my details.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lou Gonzales:

    I can appreciate your vision, unfortunately I have no where near that type of capital. but I wish you all the luck. It's really a great thing you're trying to do.

     Thanks for the feedback!!

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    I really would love to see america's youth jump back into the trades and get off the computer. 

     Same here. Thanks for the feedback. Share with anyone that you would appreciate what i'm trying to do. A client of mine that works in artificial intelligence once told me that the future is telling computers what to do or being told what to do by computers (algo's). I see how thats possible but in the meantime a lot can be done before we get there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.