Top Questions to Ask Lenders as an Investor

Top Questions to Ask Lenders as an Investor

Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 221 posts · 134 votes

I recently started working as a buyer's agent for investors and I often get asked questions about lenders.  I compiled this list of questions to ask lenders when you are trying to find the best lender to work with.  I would love feedback about what other questions should be added to the list.  Also, hope these questions are helpful for some of you out there that are starting to interview lenders for the first time.  

Top Questions to Ask a Lender

  • 1.Do you work with investors?
  • 2.What down payment amount do I need?
  • 3.What interest rate will I pay?
  • 4.How many points will I pay?
  • 5.Is there a prepayment penalty?
  • 6.On average, how quickly are you closing loans?
  • 7.Can you give me a ballpark estimate of what to expect for closing costs?
  • 8.Do you work with investors that live outside your lending area as long as the property is local?
  • 9.Do you have any “in-house” or “portfolio” loan products?
  • 10.Do you lend on both SFR and Multifamily rentals?
  • 11.Do you loan on commercial properties (5+ units)?
  • 12.Explain the loan products you have available (ie. Term length of loan, interest rates, etc.).
  • 13.Do you offer any construction loan products?
  • 14.What are your seasoning requirements for refinance loans?
  • 15.If I paid cash for a house last month, fixed it up, rented it out, can I refinance it with you immediately?
  • 16.What is your “Loan-to-Value” on refinance loans?
  • 17.Are your refinance loans based on purchase price or appraisal price?
  • 18.If loans are based on purchase price, how much time would need to pass after sale before the loan would be based on the appraisal?
  • 19.What is your banks maximum lending limit or aggregate for any one investor?
  • 20.Do your 'in-house' loans get reported to the credit bureaus if under a business name (LLC, etc)?
  • 21.What is the maximum lending limit you can personally approve without taking it to the board or committee?
  • 22.How fast can turn around most refinance loans?

Again, I welcome your feedback.  What would you add to this list?

11Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 4 votes
8y

Samantha, 

A really great list. While I am a newbie, I do have a couple thoughts on your list:

2. I would revise the question to ask directly about LTV, unless working with a lender on a specific home.

9. I like the way you phrase question #9 to include in house or portfolio - this opens up the conversation to explore other products. 

14. Moreover, what are the seasoning requirements on conforming mortgages, as well as portfolio or non-conventional loans

17. Do you offer any products that lend on ARV versus purchase/appraisal price?

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    - "What loans does your lending institution prefer?"

    - "What's your ideal candidate look like?"

    - "You're paid in multiple ways? Which ways do you get paid and how much?" (in other words...give me transparency)

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Samantha, 

    A really great list. While I am a newbie, I do have a couple thoughts on your list:

    2. I would revise the question to ask directly about LTV, unless working with a lender on a specific home.

    9. I like the way you phrase question #9 to include in house or portfolio - this opens up the conversation to explore other products. 

    14. Moreover, what are the seasoning requirements on conforming mortgages, as well as portfolio or non-conventional loans

    17. Do you offer any products that lend on ARV versus purchase/appraisal price?

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    Agreed with Lucy, great list Samantha. Here are some additional questions to add...

    1. Can I roll closing costs into the loan?
    2. Can you extend the term of my loan?
    3. How important is my credit score?
  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hey @Samantha Soto, 

    Can you expound on what you mean by, "how many points will I play?" More specifically, can you explain what points refer to?

  • New to Real Estate · Joliet, IL · Member since 2021 · 89 posts · 135 votes
    5y

    It really pays to browse the forums! I have my first meeting for financing, and this list is a huge help! Thank so much!!!

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    Thanks foe Themis list. Gives me some questions to ask as I talk to a lender this week!

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 115 posts · 70 votes
    5y

    I would also ask the following:

    (1) How long have you been in business?

    (2) Do you have references that you can provide to me?

    I would also check the public domain for Google reviews, etc.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I love your entire list. Feel free to ask me all of those questions. It will speed up the process. 

  • Lender · Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    Solid list of questions! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.