How do we pay people who help us close the deal?

How do we pay people who help us close the deal?

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 0 votes

Hello, My partner and I need help figuring out how much to pay this person. Here's what happened, she answered the call, negotiated the deal, we bought the property @ $160,000, we'll be keeping it as a rental. How much do we pay her for picking up the call and negotiating the deal? 

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

Its your Mother , stroke her a check for $ 25,000  she wiped your butt , put on your band  aids  and  made your meals . 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ashley Victor

    Who was this person? A wholesaler? A broker? A transaction broker? A third-party that just put you two together?

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Someone on my team who I forward all my leads to, she basically negotiated the price I was wiling to pay and I closed the deal. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ashley Victor

    When you say "team," do you mean a virtual team or are you paying her a salary?

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Not virtual and not on salary. It's my mom she got me into the business  years ago and I really can't put a price on what she brings to the table, but I want to be fair. If I was selling the property it would be a percentage but since I'm holding it I'm having a hard time figuring out how to compensate her.

  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 614 votes
    8y
    @Ashley Victor I'm missing something here, she did all this with no pre-negotiated rate in place? She can make you a lot of money then wait hoping you'll give her a nice check when all is said and done?
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Its your Mother , stroke her a check for $ 25,000  she wiped your butt , put on your band  aids  and  made your meals . 

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ashley Victor

    Okay. If she's your mom, and I assume she's another investor like yourself and not an agent, you should just really decide up front how you want to handle things. Could be a reasonable gift. % of cash flows or sales profits.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Plan was if we sell the property she gets a percentage, but we are holding it, now I can't figure out how much to give her.. @Matthew Paul she'd love you for that..lol @Ray Johnson she knows I will give her a nice check, but at the same time I'm running a business that's why I needed some outside opinions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y
    $8000. 5% of the deal. Throw in a sweetener if you like because it’s Mom. Call it $10,000.
  • Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2016 · 144 posts · 91 votes
    8y

    A percentage of the rent each year rented and same percentage as in the past when sold.

  • Justin BrownBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Allentown, PA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 156 votes
    8y
    How much time did she take on the negotiating? It looks like it was not a lot of time. If it was a couple of hours and then you took it from there I would say giver her a nice hourly rate $100/hour and calculate it out. My sister works for me doing paperwork and some admin stuff about 4-6 hours a week and is just out of school. I pay her $15 and she thought that was too much! I know it can get tricky with family being fair but running a business, so it's good to be up front and even ask..."mom what would you think was fair for your time helping make that sweet deal happen, I really appreciate your input and getting the job done and want to compensate your eel for your efforts?"
  • Real Estate Agent · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2017 · 213 posts · 150 votes
    8y

    @Ashley Victor I would pay her like a buyer's agent since she basically represented you, negotiated the deal, and got you to closing on a property. Most buyer's agents are making 2-3% of the acquisition price, so pay her $3,200 - $4,800 and move on to the next deal. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    I agree with @Justin. Maybe $125/ hour.

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Was your mom expecting anything out of it in the first place?  Is this going to be a regular activity for her, or just a one off thing?  How much equity did you capture with the purchase?  The answers to those questions might paint a better picture on what is the correct amount...  My first thought was $5K based on the limited information.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    After all costs equity in the property is 105k, I can make it an ongoing thing. I really would like to establish a flat rate. If I were to consider hourly pay then I would also have to pay for the endless hours of tire kickers. Seems like 5k per closed deal should be it, at the end of the day the job remains the same whether we purchase a 30k property or a 300k property so percentages wouldn't work all the time. Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input. Continued success to all!

  • Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
    8y

    I think you should base your decision based on the amount of hours she put negotiating the deal and perhaps how satisfied you are with the amount of equity your getting from the deal. If just making a few calls, I would say she was more of a "deal finder". But if she put in a decent amount of hours, followed up consistently with the seller and got you a better deal than you had anticipated, then she probably deserve a decent commission. Keep in mind, I'm using the commission term loosely. In most states it would be illegal to receive money for brokering services without having a license. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.