Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 148 posts · 30 votes
So I decided to dip my toe in DMM yesterday. I did about 10 letters and was already sick of it. For every letter I had to:
1. Research to find a suitable target
2. Look it up on the county website to get name and make sure mailing was the same as the property address
3. Manually input name and property address into letter
4. Print letter
5. Sign letter
6. Write address on envelope
7. Stuff envelope
8. Seal envelope
9. Put stamp on envelope
Now, I know that some of this stuff will have to be manual, and if I really get into it I can buy a postal meter, but it seems to me that you should be able to automate at least 3 and 4 with some simple software. Is there anything out there?
Investor and Licensed Agent · Glocester, RI · Member since 2012 · 90 posts · 26 votes
9y
Jim Kent
When I first started out, I manually did everything as well. It stinks!!!! It's time consuming, and I felt like a kid in elementary school with a cramped hand.
If I have a small list (200 letters or so for my really targeted niche list), I'll still DIY it. Mail merge in word for the letters and envelope. I go with a professional letter vs yellow letter. I hand sign each letter and pay someone to fold, stuff and stamp. Costs around $.60 per letter plus what I pay the stuffer.
With bigger lists, go with the experts. I just used Justin's company and they were awesome. These companies can get it all done fast, and if you ask me, cheaper than what I can do if I factor my time into the equation.
Either way, just do it. Don't wait till it's perfect. Just send letters. You're better sending a letter on a napkin than not sending anything at all!