Is it possible to finance a fully rented fourplex as 1st home?

Is it possible to finance a fully rented fourplex as 1st home?

Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

Is it possible to get traditional financing for a fully rented fourplex as my first home purchase? I am currently renting an apartment in an area about 60+ miles from this property, and the listing says it is fully rented with long-term tenants. Ideally, I'd want to live in one unit and rent out the others if it were closer, but I just ran across this scenario and thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Anthony GaydenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Tyler McLeod:

Hello,

Is it possible to get traditional financing for a fully rented fourplex as my first home purchase? I am currently renting an apartment in an area about 60+ miles from this property, and the listing says it is fully rented with long-term tenants. Ideally, I'd want to live in one unit and rent out the others if it were closer, but I just ran across this scenario and thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

 Yes, I did it. Kicked out one of the tenants and moved into the empty unit. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 40 votes
    10y
    Yep up to 4 units can be purchased with conventional financing
  • Investor · LaGrange GA · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    You would have to live in one of the units to qualify for FHA's, conventional owner occupied financing etc. So you'd end up evicting one of the tenants to allow you to do that, and I'm sure there would be some disclosure you would have to sign.

    Keep in mind that mortgage fraud is a big deal, so I wouldn't just "live" in there and keep your apartment, I would actually move in.

    Best of luck

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tyler McLeod:

    Hello,

    Is it possible to get traditional financing for a fully rented fourplex as my first home purchase? I am currently renting an apartment in an area about 60+ miles from this property, and the listing says it is fully rented with long-term tenants. Ideally, I'd want to live in one unit and rent out the others if it were closer, but I just ran across this scenario and thought I'd ask.

    Thanks!

     Yes, I did it. Kicked out one of the tenants and moved into the empty unit. 

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Okay, that makes sense. It'd have to be owner-occupied. Thanks for the replies!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.