Viewing property - Not sure what I'm looking for - any books or videos???

Viewing property - Not sure what I'm looking for - any books or videos???

New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 16 votes

So I walk through a house and I'm fairly lost at what to look for. For example, PVC pipes are being used instead of copper or PEX. Are there videos of people doing house inspections? Good books? I dont want to hire a house inspector for things I should catch during a first viewing. What things I should see when I check the attic? Basement? 

0Reply
19 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Steve Candor

    Based on this post you should consider paying to meet with a home inspector to ask all these questions or find a good contractor to take out to lunch and pick their brain. 

    Its better to spend a little to get someones time then thousands for big mistakes.

    This is a great question and only experience will you with this hurdle.  

    Good luck

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I'd echo what @Curt Davis said.  I paid $1000 for two inspections when I was in the process of buying my house.  It was long before I ever thought about investing in real estate, but that $1k has paid significant dividends.

    We ended up with two inspections because we backed out of the first house due to structural issues, which taught me how to look for structural issues.  I learned a bit about wiring and how to test for water pressure. I'm certainly not qualified to be an inspector, but I'm comfortable enough to make offers without getting an inspection.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    Hire an inspector and walk through the first few with him to learn. Or offer to be an unpaid assistant to an inspector to tag along on inspections; you can help carry ladders, hold the ladder steady at the bottom, turn on and off faucets and lights, etc. 

  • Engineer · Edgewood, NM · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Your inspector may be able to point out potential structural problems which could be verify expensive to fix.  If you do suspect a problem and are still interested in the property hire a licensed structural engineer that is experienced in residential construction.  He will be able to tell you if it is structural or cosmetic.  Also he should be able to give you an idea of what it will cost to fix.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    @Curt Davis awesome! I didn't even know to look at certain things and what areas of the house to really focus on (big ticket items). So, I did what you recommended I had a contractor come out with me to several places. Each house was different and we went over costs to fix and replace and what needed permits to get the work done. He went over estimates if I wanted low-end tenants (things I could keep in a fixer upper) to doing things in the place to get really good tenants. 

    @Will Johnston  structure issues, wiring, and water pressure. I'll have an electrician come by and check it out too. I didn't think to check water pressure. Interesting... what do you do? Just run the showers and make sure that it's strong? Have you seen a place with weak water pressure? What did you end up doing? 

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Steve Candor

    Glad you found working with the inspector/contractor helpful and productive.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Hey @Steve Candor , I haven't actually found a place with bad water pressure yet. Usually I'll just run the various fixtures.  To really do it right, you turn everything on at once.  It's not that it has to function perfectly like that unless you're intending to run the hose, take two showers and flush the toilet all at once, but it gives you an idea of whether you'll have issues.

    I should also mention that while I'm comfortable looking for structural issues in a house with a brick-walled basement, I'd be completely lost in a stick-built home on a slab.  Knowing one thing doesn't guarantee you'll know another. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.