Cash flow or appreciation, which should I pursue next?

Cash flow or appreciation, which should I pursue next?

Stilwell, KS · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes

I invest with a buy and hold strategy in two very different markets, about 100 miles apart, and we're analyzing where to put our money next.

Our first SFR is in an inner suburb of KC, a fantastic location for young families or new graduates. The area has had great appreciation in recent years (our property has increased an estimated 20% in value since we purchased it at the end of 2011) and shows no signs of slowing down. Several new retail centers (IKEA, just down the road!) as well as proximity to downtown work and employment hubs in the outer 'burbs make the location an easy rental.

Cash flow on the property is around $250/month, with a rent multiplier of about .85 (using our purchase price from 2011). I think we can increase rent by at least $150/month at the end of the current lease, which would get us closer to a .95 multiplier.

Our second SFR and our duplex are in a small city/college town where property prices are much lower and rents are fairly high. The economy there is growing slightly, but pales in comparison to KC. The university in town has always been the stabilizing factor. Our SFR there is cash flowing about $200/month and has about a .85 multiplier (my sister is the tenant and we remodeled the kitchen with above market finishes, so we knew we were putting in more cash than necessary), but, in general, getting a 1-1.5 multiplier is really easy there.

Our duplex was a steal and we're getting 1.5 multiplier on it (one unit was rented below market by about $250 when we bought the place but we are honoring the lease for as long as they want to stay, they are great tenants) and the place is cash flowing upwards of $600/month.

Cash-on-cash is much better in the small town, as good SFRs cost about 1/3 (or less) than they would in KC and rent is closer to 1/2.

I'm curious to know what the BP community thinks here. Should we hang onto the property in KC to take advantage of the potential for appreciation and rent increases, or do we sell it and invest in more properties in the secondary market that have higher cash returns but very little appreciation? Thoughts on staying diversified in two markets if we know them both well? Would you add property in the growing economy (KC) market so as to not be overly invested in a smaller growth market (with the stability of a mid-level university in town)?

Interested in everyone's thoughts!

1Reply
23 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    IMHO, cash flow with a reasonable expectation of appreciation is the best way to go. If Manhattan does that for you then I'd keep investing there. However, that is a bit of a drive and makes you long distance landlords. Additionally though, you might want to read this recent thread about SUNY-Binghampton.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/128731-still-in-shocklooked-at-a-few-student-rentals-today

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Jenni Purvis Johnson County will continue to have the best appreciation in the metro area in my opinion. You said your single family rental was near the new IKEA in Merriam? The only issue I could see with that area is that the Shawnee Mission school district isn't performing as well as it did in the past. Don't get me wrong, they still have good schools, but I would bet that housing in the Blue Valley school district will have more appreciation.

    In my opinion, if I was investing in the KC area, cash flow would be my goal. You are never going to get the kind of appreciation, even in nicer parts of Johnson County that you could get on the coasts.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jenni Purvis when you have appreciation you also have appreciation in rents, so in the long run you will be better off with the better property IMO. Having said that it is best to avoid alligators.

    If you are looking for immediate income then the cash flow properties with a higher amount of work is probably the way to go.

  • SFR Investor · Watkinsville, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    Jenni Purvis en my opinion is stick to the cash flow. If you just look at appreciation it's not any different from gambling. Look at all the (let's not even call them investors) people that bet on appreciation and when the market tanked lost their homes. They took a gamble and the lost. To me, betting in appreciation is just like playing in the stock market. You buy low and hope to sell high. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I'm not saying to buy a home in a declining market just because it cash flows, but where I live and invest, I buy based on the cash flow in good solid neighborhoods and the appreciation is a bonus not to mention just simply a byproduct. Like any post I make, this is just my personal opinion.
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 130 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    @Jenni Purvis If you can truly get cash flow plus appreciation, take that. But cash flow today should trump (anticipated but not guaranteed) appreciation in the future.

  • Stilwell, KS · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Cal C. , thanks for directing me to the SUNY thread, I enjoyed reading it. There are lots of choices in Emporia for run down places that produce good cash flow, but I assume they also come with some of the issues discussed on that thread.

    @Anthony D. Blue Valley does probably have the best appreciation (Leawood, in particular), but the numbers make no sense to me for rental purposes. I probably have a little landlord crush on my Roeland Park house because I would've loved to live there when I was a new grad, it's a fantastic location. Not sure that it makes sense to hold on to it for appreciation alone, but it does seem to balance cash flow and appreciation a bit better than other Johnson County areas might.

    Good point Eleena de L.

  • Stilwell, KS · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Rabinowitz

    Thanks for the great questions! Our investing now is to build future wealth, all cash flow goes back into investing. It would be great to have the option to quit my job in 5 years if I wanted to, but it's not necessary. I like my job and not sure that full time investing would be the end-all for me, though I will certainly take any extra income I can figure out how to make. Ultimately, I would like to cash flow about $10k/month within 12-15 years, whether I do that the slow way (traditional financing, cash flow pays off mortgages early) or the fast way (owning riskier properties/creative financing that cash flows faster now). I'm not in any major hurry to get rich from my investments, but I do enjoy the Rubik's cube solver mentality of the real estate game :)

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jenni Purvis Loki was debating Columbia Manhattan and Pittsburg wrong on all three counts! I forgot about emporia state

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    you have to love spell check when it turns lol into a Norse god

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.