The biggest lie in real estate investing...?

The biggest lie in real estate investing...?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes

What's the hardest (or most frustrating) part of real estate investing for you?

When I got into real estate investing years ago, I was told it would be mostly passive. I've learned that that's not entirely true.

Information I need to make a decision is scattered everywhere. Finding the right property (or even a GP) can be a real grind. It feels like a part-time job sometimes!

So, as a technology entrepreneur, I got to wondering if there's a way to research, acquire, and manage my deals more easily using the power of artificial intelligence (AI) or some other internet software.

I have an idea of what I think I need to build, but before I build it, I would appreciate some feedback from this community: What's the hardest (or most frustrating) part of real estate investing for you?

Would you mind taking this 8 question survey to help me understand your pain points as an investor? https://forms.gle/38s4iBsVR3C6Jx7j9

I want to build something truly useful that can help everyone here, including myself so your answers would be tremendously valuable.

At the end of the survey, you can leave your email if you wish to be given beta access to this tool.

Thank you!

3Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 78 votes
2y

@Jon L.

Your questions 1 and 4 in the survey are not something a lot of investors would want to provide... breach of privacy etc

For your question in the post here about the most frustrating part, for me plenty of frustration around contractors... finding quality ones, finding ones that haven't taken on too much work to where they bring in inexperienced guys to cover their multiple jobs etc

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y

    @Jon L.

    I am thinking whatever questions you have, couldn't that be answered by Ai?     

  • Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 78 votes
    2y

    @Jon L.

    Your questions 1 and 4 in the survey are not something a lot of investors would want to provide... breach of privacy etc

    For your question in the post here about the most frustrating part, for me plenty of frustration around contractors... finding quality ones, finding ones that haven't taken on too much work to where they bring in inexperienced guys to cover their multiple jobs etc

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kevin S.:

    @Jon L.

    I am thinking whatever questions you have, couldn't that be answered by Ai?     

    Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. 🙏
  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Martin M.:

    @Jon L.

    Your questions 1 and 4 in the survey are not something a lot of investors would want to provide... breach of privacy etc

    For your question in the post here about the most frustrating part, for me plenty of frustration around contractors... finding quality ones, finding ones that haven't taken on too much work to where they bring in inexperienced guys to cover their multiple jobs etc


    Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. 🙏 

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y

    @Jon L.

    You are welcome and good luck with your endeavor.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I have several but I'll list just one. Most frustrating part is knowing when to scale, leverage more and how much risk to take on, also much more difficult from 2022 to 2024 vs. 10 years ago. I asked several investors what they would do in my situation. They gave different answers depending on risk tolerance. I decided not to buy anymore and stick with my few solid properties that have a good amount of equity. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Real estate investing can indeed feel overwhelming with scattered information and time-consuming processes. Your idea to utilize AI for simplifying the research and management of deals sounds promising, especially in a dynamic Dubai new developments, where new projects like Dubai Creek Harbour and Palm Jumeirah are constantly emerging and require vigilant monitoring.


     What tools, if any, are you using right now for your investment research and decision making? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Becca F.:

    I have several but I'll list just one. Most frustrating part is knowing when to scale, leverage more and how much risk to take on, also much more difficult from 2022 to 2024 vs. 10 years ago. I asked several investors what they would do in my situation. They gave different answers depending on risk tolerance. I decided not to buy anymore and stick with my few solid properties that have a good amount of equity. 


     Are you talking about your local market or just real estate in the US in general?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

     Real estate in general in the U.S. My properties acquired in pre-2013 are doing well and they kind of fell in my lap. I didn't intend to try to scale until I heard so many people talk about becoming financially free (quitting W2 job). Trying to buy in 2022 to 2024 has been difficult with 7% rates and higher prices. California is challenging because of high prices and landlord-tenant laws but buying out of state brings about a different set of challenges - being 2000 miles away puts me at a disadvantage. There are many posts on BP with experienced investors cautioning new investors about buying OOS in unknown markets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.