Finance cowboy rental academy reviews

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

I've never even heard of it tbh. That being said, I have a fairly low opinion of gurus in general, especially ones that describe themselves as "academies." And "Finance Cowboy" sounds particularly guruish. But I might just be exposing my own biases here. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    I've never even heard of it tbh. That being said, I have a fairly low opinion of gurus in general, especially ones that describe themselves as "academies." And "Finance Cowboy" sounds particularly guruish. But I might just be exposing my own biases here. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I've  seen Finance Cowboy's (Jaren Sustar's) videos in my Instagram news feed and watched a couple of his YouTube videos. I found very few reviews except one that said it requires a $5000 initial investment and the refund policy wasn't stated.

    All these social media gurus/coaches say basically the same thing with different hooks to get your attention, his being the "cowboy" and they will mentor you 1:1 and walk you through the steps, etc. I  think their free information on YouTube or podcasts is ok. I know two people paying $10,000 a year for coaching (not Jaren's program) and neither of them have made any offers on any properties almost a year later. No coach/mentor can guarantee you'll be successful in real estate despite their sales pitches.

    I would recommend going to local real estate meet ups, and talking with investors who buy locally and out of state. I've even gotten on Zoom or phone calls on a few people I've networked on BP that helped me out, all for free. You'll find that lots of experienced investors love to talk and share their stories and help you problem solve.

  • Dave MeyerPro Member
    Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
    2y

    @Will Martinez I know of Finance Cowboy from Instagram, but nothing of his courses. 

    That said, purely out of professional curiosity, may I ask what you're hoping to learn in the academy? What are you looking for from a paid education that you cannot find elsewhere for free (or less money)? 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    I guess I like the aspect of having an experienced investor to guide me through the entire process.  I’ve thoroughly educated myself with “free” content and still feel nervous taking the first step.  I realize I can possibly find a mentor through networking.  However, I feel like a paid mentor will hopefully be more invested in my success.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    I'm a fan!! But I'm him, so that isn't fair :) But seriously, would love to help and can put you in contact with folks we work with if you want to pick their brain. Let me know and keep crushing it!

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    I've never even heard of it tbh. That being said, I have a fairly low opinion of gurus in general, especially ones that describe themselves as "academies." And "Finance Cowboy" sounds particularly guruish. But I might just be exposing my own biases here. 


     Sheesh. Took me weeks to think of that name!! lol I feel you though. I'm a skeptic too. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jaren Sustar:
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    I've never even heard of it tbh. That being said, I have a fairly low opinion of gurus in general, especially ones that describe themselves as "academies." And "Finance Cowboy" sounds particularly guruish. But I might just be exposing my own biases here. 


     Sheesh. Took me weeks to think of that name!! lol I feel you though. I'm a skeptic too. 

    Finance Cowboy took weeks? In that case I assume you must have been debating some other possibilities as well? And to be honest, I would have preferred Rodeo Real Estate but that's just me. 
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jaren Sustar:

    I'm a fan!! But I'm him, so that isn't fair :) But seriously, would love to help and can put you in contact with folks we work with if you want to pick their brain. Let me know and keep crushing it!


    Creating an account for the first time on BP just to respond to a post about you? I am not a fan TBH.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Been meaning to for a while, plan to be active. Everybody can't be a fan!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Somehow I just stumbled onto this thread, but thought I'd pipe in since I'm here. I'm in the program and it's been extremely helpful. Having a coach to work with and a whole network of people in the business available to me is a huge value. I want to get rolling with investment properties and Jaren's rental academy has been an invaluable resource to me. 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shauna Myron:

    Somehow I just stumbled onto this thread, but thought I'd pipe in since I'm here. I'm in the program and it's been extremely helpful. Having a coach to work with and a whole network of people in the business available to me is a huge value. I want to get rolling with investment properties and Jaren's rental academy has been an invaluable resource to me. 


     Thanks for the feedback Shauna!  I actually just spoke with Ryan, one of their coaches, and I plan to join next month!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    DO NOT buy this guy's course. It’s just a quick cash grab for him—if he gets 10 people to sign up from his free seminar, that's $50,000 in his pocket, minus a few expenses. He follows a scripted and manipulative sales process to sell you on the idea of getting rich. Don’t fall for his free real estate calculator or any of his other free tools—many real estate gurus use the same tactics. You can easily create your own calculators with AI tools, so save your money. The information he offers is readily available for free on BiggerPockets or online. Avoid this self-proclaimed guru and keep your cash.

  • Specialist · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 268 posts · 80 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Will Martinez:
    Quote from @Shauna Myron:

    Somehow I just stumbled onto this thread, but thought I'd pipe in since I'm here. I'm in the program and it's been extremely helpful. Having a coach to work with and a whole network of people in the business available to me is a huge value. I want to get rolling with investment properties and Jaren's rental academy has been an invaluable resource to me. 


     Thanks for the feedback Shauna!  I actually just spoke with Ryan, one of their coaches, and I plan to join next month!


     How's it going for you?

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    I called this guy out through an instagram message like a year ago, which he proceeded to block me instead of answering my questions. Big red flags everywhere you turn. Imagine paying $5,000 for info you can get for free online. It’s extremely unethical to portray yourself as a genius, and taking $5k from people trying to get ahead in life. It’s common sense that if somebody truly turned $10k into $2 million in that short of time, they wouldn’t have to beg you to buy their courses. I reported him to anybody I possibly could. Thankfully, it appears that his instagram account that he used to be a “guru” was deleted by instagram, likely because it was full of bots, and designed to prey on the less intelligent. More than anything, it seems like this guy wants the world to view him as some genius, when in reality he needs to just keep his identity in the fact that he’s just a pastor’s spoiled kid. He learned from the church’s model of deceiving innocent people into giving their hard earned money to something with no return. After I reported him to the consumer protection agency, I noticed his website added disclaimers about how his returns are exceptional (I’m not sure his claims are even true or has been proven), and that replicating his returns are not guaranteed, which is nice way of saying you’re going to piss your money away trying to replicate what this guy claims he has done. I’m a local and found this guy through somebody I know reposting his content, where he was giving horrible advice  saying to only invest in real estate, and totally ignores the fact that everybody has different investment goals, time horizons, risk tolerance, liquidity needs, etc. This guy refused to address any of my questions or concerns, and then blocked me. Huge red flag, right? I’ll post my message to him if I can find it, just so everywhere knows all the reasons why I think this guy is taking advantage of people. If you want to learn about real estate, you can literally use ChatGPT for free, and you’ll get better advice. I hope I’ve helped save at least one person from heartache. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Here’s the messages I sent him on instagram, hoping to gain some clarity. He ignored me and blocked me (thankfully instagram has now deleted his page). I hope my thought process helps people avoid being scammed. 

    “ Man, I’ve been seeing some of your posts on my feed and I know some folks involved in your operation. You are promoting a bunch of BS, and people are going to get hurt. I don’t usually post on these fake influencer pages that mislead people, but I’ve seen this page enough to know that people need to be warned. It’s extraordinarily unethical to promote some image of yourself acting like a financial genius, when you’re clearly withholding material information. 1) Your page is full of bots, so most of the engagement that you’re receiving is driven by bots. That’s a false impression of success in my view. 2) Do you have any licensing or registration to be promoting financial advice? From what I’ve found, you don’t. It’s one thing to give general advice about real estate, but you’re promoting false information about securities, telling folks to only buy real estate instead of index funds, etc. That’s just horrible advice. Do you have no concept of diversification? The point is that you can’t give advice about securities and not be a licensed/registered investment advisor or financial planner. 3) You are misleading people by saying that real estate only goes up, which is what you definitely portray. Ever heard of the Great Recession in 08/09? People can get hurt with real estate when the market turns. Also, you’ve got to understand that there no “one size fits all” approach like you portray. You don’t even take into account people’s investment goals, time horizon, risk tolerance, etc. If you were actually a financial advisor, you’d know these things. 4) You’re trying to cause FOMO, just because residential real estate has done so well over the past 5 years. Here’s something else you’d learn if you were actually a financial advisor, past performance does not guarantee future success. 6) You mean to tell me that you’ve made millions in real estate in a few years (if true then great for you), so instead of continuing your strategy, you’d rather be an Instagram influencer that’s influencing mostly bots. That just screams unethical behavior. You’re tricking people into believing it’s a piece of cake to flip real estate and get rich. You leave out important info, such as the fact that people our pouring into SC from California, New York, Etc, causing a massive demand for real estate in our area, among other reasons. The cost of living is much better here compared to other places. Your business model (assuming you’ve actually made millions) would not work throughout the whole US. This is important information that innocent people need to know. 6) I’ve reported you to the SEC and to FTC Consumer Protection Agency. I honestly can’t believe they haven’t found you yet, but I guess since you prey on lower intelligent people, none of them are smart enough to report you. I’m sure you’ll delete my comment and block me, but that’s fine. This whole “finance cowboy” concept is on borrowed time, unless you heed my advice and make the necessary changes. Good luck!”

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Will Martinez:

    Has anyone paid for Jaren Sustar’s rental academy?  Any reviews?


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.