Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Feeling around in the dark on first possible partnership

Posted Jun 8 2024, 02:57

Hello all,

I am trying to determine what I can contribute to a potential joint venture involving myself, another investor, and a builder. I own the land outright and have $20k in cash to invest. Additionally, I am willing to live in one of the units for a year.

My long-term vision is to buy everyone out and eventually own the property entirely.

What are some common deal structures I can explore based on my contributions and end goal?

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 8 2024, 06:48

In simple terms, everyone is paid for their time/effort up front. Once the project is complete, you determine market rate and buy out their share.

Let's say it cost $60,000 to build the house and it is appraised for $120,000 after you are done (not including the land, which you already own). You procure a cash-out loan from the bank and use that cash to pay off the partners. If each partner contributed $20,000 (1/3 of the build cost) then you would pay them 1/3 of the home value ($40,000). Everyone doubles their money and the house is yours.

You have to do the math on contributions and payouts. If the builder doesn't add any cash, but puts in his labor, you need to agree up front what his labor is worth, how much he puts in, any limits to what he charges, etc. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2024, 06:53

Love the response, thank you!  I was not familiar with a cash-out loan, but will have to look into it.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.