Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Farhan Khan
Votes |
New Investor Seeking Guidance in DC Metro Area

Farhan Khan
Posted May 29 2024, 06:59

Hello BiggerPockets community,

I'm a new investor ready to enter the real estate market in the DC metro area, with a focus on Northern Virginia. My strategy is to invest in rental properties for cash flow and consider flipping opportunities when appropriate.

As a beginner, I'm seeking guidance from experienced investors who can help me navigate the landscape and avoid common mistakes. I am open to the possibility of investing with someone that understands the market and has been in this business already.  I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for essential resources, such as websites, books, or forums, that have been invaluable to your own real estate investing journey.

Furthermore, if you have referrals for trusted professionals in the DC metro area, such as contractors or property managers, I would be immensely grateful.

If you're an experienced investor in this region and open to collaborating with an enthusiastic newcomer, I would love to connect and explore potential partnerships.

Thank you for your support and advice. I'm excited to learn from and contribute to this remarkable community.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied May 29 2024, 10:49
Quote from @Farhan Khan:

I'm a new investor ready to enter the real estate market in the DC metro area, with a focus on Northern Virginia. My strategy is to invest in rental properties for cash flow and consider flipping opportunities when appropriate.

As a beginner, I'm seeking guidance from experienced investors who can help me navigate the landscape and avoid common mistakes. I am open to the possibility of investing with someone that understands the market and has been in this business already.  I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for essential resources, such as websites, books, or forums, that have been invaluable to your own real estate investing journey.

Furthermore, if you have referrals for trusted professionals in the DC metro area, such as contractors or property managers, I would be immensely grateful.

If you're an experienced investor in this region and open to collaborating with an enthusiastic newcomer, I would love to connect and explore potential partnerships.

Thank you for your support and advice. I'm excited to learn from and contribute to this remarkable community.

The reality is with a short time horizon there is no cash flow in the DC area. DC is one of the lowest cap rates in the country.

If you have a long time horizon, and have patience, with the areas strong rent growth you can end up with more cash flow here than a high cap rate market. But you'll need to be very patient.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied May 29 2024, 11:37
Quote from @Farhan Khan:

Not trying to be a dream killer but there is simply no money to be made in the D.C. no cash flow, no margins to flip, labor either to flip or just hold a property is insane, the money was made years ago, even going forward I see limited appreciation, investing is HARD everyone these days but to the extent there is money to be made you have to go to places that haven’t popped yet. Places that have some room to grow either price wise or rent growth rise.

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Farhan Khan
Votes |
Replied May 29 2024, 19:38

Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate your candid and insightful responses to my post. Your input has reinforced my own observations of the DC metro market over the past three months. I've noticed that the margins for both cash flow and rehab projects are indeed razor-thin, with Cash on Cash Returns often falling below 5 percent and ROI not being particularly attractive either.

Given the challenges in the DC market, I'm open to exploring investment opportunities in other areas. If you have any suggestions for markets that show promise for new investors, I would be grateful for your recommendations. I understand that investing outside of my local area may require partnering with someone on the ground who has experience and knowledge of the specific market.

Once again, thank you both for sharing your valuable perspectives and advice. I look forward to continuing to learn from the BiggerPockets community as I navigate my real estate investing journey.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied May 29 2024, 21:16
Quote from @Farhan Khan:

Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate your candid and insightful responses to my post. Your input has reinforced my own observations of the DC metro market over the past three months. I've noticed that the margins for both cash flow and rehab projects are indeed razor-thin, with Cash on Cash Returns often falling below 5 percent and ROI not being particularly attractive either.

Given the challenges in the DC market, I'm open to exploring investment opportunities in other areas. If you have any suggestions for markets that show promise for new investors, I would be grateful for your recommendations. I understand that investing outside of my local area may require partnering with someone on the ground who has experience and knowledge of the specific market.

Once again, thank you both for sharing your valuable perspectives and advice. I look forward to continuing to learn from the BiggerPockets community as I navigate my real estate investing journey.

I’ve had some success on the eastern shore of Maryland, though even that market has started to frankly become expensive, there are still pockets of potential growth both rent & appreciation, thoigh it’s becoming harder to find, also there is a massive rental shortage out there, a county I just put a property contract on, literally has 3 properties for rent right now, but it does make rental comps quite difficult, outside of that I’ve started looking a little more into western Md and some southern pa markets but still trying to get a feel for them, overall I think in this market places that are affordableish and have some draw will do well with the continued wfh + affordability crisis but keep in mind while I think the eastern shore is actually fairly safe market for the most part a lot of rural areas definitely have boom bust potential and in theory more risk than dc metro, though the low price points do by definition tend to mitigate some of those risks.
  • Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Farhan Khan
Votes |
Replied May 30 2024, 15:13

Jack, Thank you for your detailed and informative response. Your insights on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the potential opportunities in Western Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania are much appreciated. It's helpful to know that you've had success in the Eastern Shore market and that you're actively exploring other areas as well.

Given your experience and knowledge of these markets, I'm curious about your investment approach. Do you typically invest solo, or do you partner with other investors? If you do collaborate with investors, I would be interested in learning more about your investment model and the specific mechanics of how you structure those partnerships.

As a new investor, I am open to exploring investment opportunities and potentially partnering with experienced professionals like yourself. If you are open to discussing the possibility of working together, I would welcome the chance to learn more about your approach and see if there might be a good fit.

If you prefer not to take on investment partners or if your current model doesn't align with my goals, I completely understand. In that case, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have for other experienced investors in the markets you mentioned who may be open to collaborating with a newcomer.