Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Tyreek King-El
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads Area, VA
Votes |
HELP! Nasty eviction and Tenants Identity Never Existed.

Tyreek King-El
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads Area, VA
Posted May 6 2024, 17:51

Team,

Recently wrapped up an eviction with the help of my property manager. Tenant paid for two years, and then stopped. Boyfriend (who wasn't on the lease, was arrested on site by the SWAT) I assume, paid most of the bills. Upon going through the house to get rid of old junk, I went through some old papers that were left behind, of which were addressed to a name I didn't recognize. I immediately got suspicious and retained these papers. After a few trips back to the home to work on repairs (they trashed my house), I checked the mailbox and saw new mail addressed to this same name. Upon seeing this name again, I looked it up online and found that the person it belonged to had a number of articles from our local news station for a number of crimes, to include forgery, identity theft, impersonation, etc. 

After looking the name up on Facebook and scrolling through the page for about an hour, I saw that this was my former tenant. There were tons of mugshots online, articles, etc. I went through her Facebook, and turns out she runs a CPN business (credit profile number, for those who may not be familiar... people use fake names and SSNs, and credit profiles enroute to obtaining housing, cars, credit cards, etc.).

I'm very bummed because I was gathering contractor quotes to have these damages added as judgements that could be garnished from her paycheck by the state, and now we've hit a dead end. Since she was never who she said she was, even the eviction papers aren't addressed to the right person. 

What should I do? I'd like to continue to sue for missed rents and damages, but I have no clue how to go about it anymore and don't know if it will even be worth it after the ~$20k she'll owe in both, anticipating an attorney will charge close to this or more. 

Do I chalk this one up? My property manager recommends i notify the FBI but I'll be honest, I really just want my money. Open to your opinions.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 6 2024, 18:25
Quote from @Tyreek King-El:

Team,

Recently wrapped up an eviction with the help of my property manager. Tenant paid for two years, and then stopped. Boyfriend (who wasn't on the lease, was arrested on site by the SWAT) I assume, paid most of the bills. Upon going through the house to get rid of old junk, I went through some old papers that were left behind, of which were addressed to a name I didn't recognize. I immediately got suspicious and retained these papers. After a few trips back to the home to work on repairs (they trashed my house), I checked the mailbox and saw new mail addressed to this same name. Upon seeing this name again, I looked it up online and found that the person it belonged to had a number of articles from our local news station for a number of crimes, to include forgery, identity theft, impersonation, etc. 

After looking the name up on Facebook and scrolling through the page for about an hour, I saw that this was my former tenant. There were tons of mugshots online, articles, etc. I went through her Facebook, and turns out she runs a CPN business (credit profile number, for those who may not be familiar... people use fake names and SSNs, and credit profiles enroute to obtaining housing, cars, credit cards, etc.).

I'm very bummed because I was gathering contractor quotes to have these damages added as judgements that could be garnished from her paycheck by the state, and now we've hit a dead end. Since she was never who she said she was, even the eviction papers aren't addressed to the right person. 

What should I do? I'd like to continue to sue for missed rents and damages, but I have no clue how to go about it anymore and don't know if it will even be worth it after the ~$20k she'll owe in both, anticipating an attorney will charge close to this or more. 

Do I chalk this one up? My property manager recommends i notify the FBI but I'll be honest, I really just want my money. Open to your opinions.

Scan the docs and send to fbi. Trace the filings of the corporation you discovered— might give you some clues. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 6 2024, 18:29

I agree with John and your PM.  You may never get your money, but hopefully she will end up in jail where she belongs and not rip off other people with her scam.  If she did pay you, how would you feel knowing how she got that money?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied May 7 2024, 05:16

@Tyreek King-El you can't get blood out of a rock!

Turn what you have over to the police and move on with your life.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 7 2024, 05:20

Team,

Move on, stop wasting your time and causing added stress, 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 7 2024, 06:38

Team,

Chalk it up and move on. you are never gonna get a penny from them and probably just waste your money. you can notify the FBI but they are most likely never gonna do anything. Focus on something that will generate additional revenue, right now you will be chasing it

User Stats

Votes
Tyreek King-El
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads Area, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads Area, VA
Replied May 10 2024, 07:42

Thank you all, message received loud and clear.