background checks-rent redi vs direct thru zillow

background checks-rent redi vs direct thru zillow

Stan TallmanPro Member
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 19 votes

I've been marketing my rental thru rent redi-they charge a $49.99 fee per application.  It looks like Zillow charges a one time $35 fee for RENTERS to apply to ANY zillow rental.  Anyone have thoughts on how to get not just interest, but actual APPLICATIONS? i have a ton of inquiries, but only one application thru rent redi.  I think its because no one wants to pay $50 PER unit to apply for a rent house.

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Dallas · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 95 votes
2y
Quote from @Stan Tallman:

I'm trying to streamline the app process for my tenants (and me).  Thanks!

Hey Stan. I use Transunion smartmove. It ranges from $25 to $44. This is what I used to land my 2 tenants for my 2 rentals. 

 https://www.mysmartmove.com/?utm_source=google&utm_mediu...

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 569 posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Applying through Zillow’s rent manager offers the benefit of a one-time $35 fee, allowing applicants to apply to various Zillow properties without additional charges. While $50 may seem steep, it’s relative to the rental’s value. For tenants with a monthly rent exceeding $2,000, the $50 application fee is generally not a concern.

  • Stan TallmanPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    I'm trying to streamline the app process for my tenants (and me).  Thanks!

  • Dallas · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 95 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stan Tallman:

    I'm trying to streamline the app process for my tenants (and me).  Thanks!

    Hey Stan. I use Transunion smartmove. It ranges from $25 to $44. This is what I used to land my 2 tenants for my 2 rentals. 

     https://www.mysmartmove.com/?utm_source=google&utm_mediu...

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Stan, on my Dallas rentals for every 20 inquires I got maybe 1 would fill out my RentRedi app. Think thats just the nature of the beast. I think the RentRedi app is a good filter. Helps you find renters that are serious. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stan Tallman:

    I've been marketing my rental thru rent redi-they charge a $49.99 fee per application.  It looks 

    Some people depend on the Z company, but I've never had good luck with them.  Lots of inquires, but I think people just clicking here and there and not really serious and not qualified.  I guess it depends on what you have up for rent and what kind of tenants you want to get in it.  There are plenty of ways to run background checks.  MySmartMove is what we use, but that is after you have the full application.   We also have a strict set of guidelines we use to help limit the number of inquires...they'll self select.  If they're not willing to pay the $50, you probably don't want them, to me that is a self selection.   Don't know this is true, but if they can pay one app fee on zillow and apply to 10 houses at a time, that isn't necessarily a good thing for you.  I'm not a fan, of this idea, but there are some property managers around that charge $150/person app fee.  That seems high, but there are people who will pay that.  Again depends on what you have for rent, but how does Zillow work if you have two applicants.  Personally I want anyone 18 or over living in the house on the lease and full credit and background check on them.
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    One other thing I see right now is that there are a lot of rentals on the market in most areas, so you have plenty of competition probably in one of the slower start times of the year. I think in Plano, McKinney, Frisco area there are currently about 750 homes on the market for rent. In December there were about 1000. That's too many, and many of the rents were crazy low, like $4000/month on a $800,000 house. Seems like right now there are some odd dynamics going on in the single family market in some areas. Some international investors just want to park their money, don't trust the stock market, and don't seem to care about ROI.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    I use Zillow Rental Manager for listing, applications, and leasing. It's all in one if you're looking for that. Once someone applies, it will show you their credit report, background check, and paystubs all in one profile. It makes it easier for me to review everything in one place. Plus the fee as you said is just $35 which is not bad at all. 

  • Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2024 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    You can market your home on Zillow, and not use their application. I know that it's the easier option. However, it is one that I've seen come back to bite many property owners. It may be more money/effort upfront but could save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run if you take the time to properly screen your prospective tenants. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.