Indianapolis Market Insight from an Investor Focused Agent

Indianapolis Market Insight from an Investor Focused Agent

Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 68 votes

Hello!

I'm Devon and I've been an investor focused agent in Central Indiana since 2019. I just wanted to share some insight into what I'm seeing in our market the last few weeks!

-The rental market has made a correction: Q4 rental activity and prices took a dive. 
We are finally starting to see things pick up, but there is a lot of supply out there now so you HAVE to ensure you are pricing your rentals right and putting your best foot forward. Condition is crucial to limiting vacancy.
Reducing your rental rate to place a tenant faster will usually pencil out better in the long run as opposed to more vacancy at a higher rate.
I am being pretty conservative with my rental estimates when helping clients look for potential properties to buy.

-Now is the time to buy: I'm having pretty good luck helping clients purchase homes below list/market values right now. I feel if rates continue to tick down more and as we head into spring prices and competition are going to jump up making it tougher to buy. If you're in the market, I advise trying to buy before the end of Q1! I know rates are still squeezing cash flow, but remember, there are SO many other benefits to owning rental real estate. 

-Good multi family inventory is scarce: Our MF inventory in decent or better areas is low. If your goal is buying something 2-4 doors you may have to be patient for the right thing to pop up. 

-Properties need work to be rent ready: I am finding that on average, properties need 10K-15K to be rent ready. This usually includes cosmetics and smaller inspection issues that weren't really able to be used as leverage for negotiating. As mentioned above, condition is so important to attract a good tenant quickly. Most properties tend to need fresh paint, new flooring, and other refreshes to get up to par. There are a lot of smaller inspection issues we see pop up as well that generally speaking aren't "Major" but can still be considered a liability or safety issue in a rental and need to be addressed. (Pro tip: labor and material costs will only continue to rise so it will usually save you money in the longrun to do as much work as possible sooner rather than later.)

 -Where to invest?: We continue to have great success in Anderson, IN. Prices are affordable, rent to purchase price ratios are much better than Indy, and tenant quality and rental demand are solid. 

Kokomo also has a lot of potential with the announcement of multiple electric car battery facilities going in. We expect this to bring an influx of people to fill jobs which in turn should raise property values as well.  

Community Heights/Emerson Heights are two quaint neighborhoods in Indianapolis. Rental demand is good and they have great proximity to a major hospital. 

Christian Park is another neighborhood on the east side of Indianapolis that has seen a lot of improvement over the last few years. 

I hope this info is helpful to anyone looking in the Central Indiana market!

16Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Tyler LingleBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 440 posts · 292 votes
2y
Quote from @Ashton Hines:

Hi Devon, 

Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?


There are a lot. Average Daily Rate this winter for a 2-3 bedroom home is $125. Barely above hotel. However, this is a very seasonal market, and the summer sees that ADR go up to ~$185-200. The reality is, the STR market downtown is quite saturated, and the bad operators are starting to sell. I'm seeing more and more furnished units up for rent. You have to stand out from the crowd right now, or go to higher head count-type unit. Those seem to be in need, as there are very few 5+ bedroom options.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    Hi Devon, 

    Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?

  • Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 68 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

    Hi Devon, 

    Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?

    Hey Ashton! We focus on more long term buy and hold strategies so I’m not too in tune with the STR market. 

    Generally speaking that’s a solid area for those kinds of properties though and I’m sure that will only increase with the MLS stadium going in. 
  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    2y

    Thanks for the summary! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis · Member since 2023 · 52 posts · 33 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

    Hi Devon, 

    Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?


    The short-term market in Indianapolis has been a little over-saturated just like many other cities. It is not uncommon for investors to look for STR in the summer when booking will be high and then transition to MTR during the winter to lock in a tenant while the STR market picks back up. Hope that helped!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    2y

    @Devon Shaw great insight. Appreciate the post!

  • Tyler LingleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 440 posts · 292 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

    Hi Devon, 

    Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?


    There are a lot. Average Daily Rate this winter for a 2-3 bedroom home is $125. Barely above hotel. However, this is a very seasonal market, and the summer sees that ADR go up to ~$185-200. The reality is, the STR market downtown is quite saturated, and the bad operators are starting to sell. I'm seeing more and more furnished units up for rent. You have to stand out from the crowd right now, or go to higher head count-type unit. Those seem to be in need, as there are very few 5+ bedroom options.

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

    Hi Devon, 

    Curious what you think about the STR market around Lucas Oil. We stayed there recently and we were able to walk to the Stadium. The house was clean but definitely not over the top nice. Have you had any clients have success around downtown with the STRs?


    Can't speak on the STR side but near Southside Downtown is booming. The Old Southside has seen significant growth generally speaking.

  • Real Estate Agent · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    2y

     @Jake Knight @Devon Shaw @Tyler Lingle thanks for the insight! 

    We will be coming to town again for my son's DCI marching competition in August I believe, maybe we can grab a drink downtown and do a Bigger Pockets meetup. Would love to hear more about the market there. I do not do any out of state investing right now but since we will be going several times over the next 4-5 years I'm tempted to try something at some point. 

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

     @Jake Knight @Devon Shaw @Tyler Lingle thanks for the insight! 

    We will be coming to town again for my son's DCI marching competition in August I believe, maybe we can grab a drink downtown and do a Bigger Pockets meetup. Would love to hear more about the market there. I do not do any out of state investing right now but since we will be going several times over the next 4-5 years I'm tempted to try something at some point. 


     I'd love that, please stay in touch!

  • Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 68 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ashton Hines:

     @Jake Knight @Devon Shaw @Tyler Lingle thanks for the insight! 

    We will be coming to town again for my son's DCI marching competition in August I believe, maybe we can grab a drink downtown and do a Bigger Pockets meetup. Would love to hear more about the market there. I do not do any out of state investing right now but since we will be going several times over the next 4-5 years I'm tempted to try something at some point. 


     Yes! I'll shoot you my contact info an a DM :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.