Calling all owners in Detroit- Property Management Fee Poll

Calling all owners in Detroit- Property Management Fee Poll

Lender · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello all! I’m an experienced Loan Officer, Realtor, and Investor! My wife and I currently own 5 single-family units in Detroit, MI that we self manage in C class neighborhoods. Also, my wife is an experienced property manager working in the commercial multi-family space for Monarch Investment and Management Group. Currently they are the nations 8th largest multi-family owner, having over 75,000 units.

As I began to navigate the market of investing I also started exploring the costs of property management as well as the role of most PM companies. Let’s just say I was underwhelmed with what I found. Excessive fees, that can sometimes make a great deal much less attractive along with sub-par service 75% of the time. 

My question is this:

If there was a company that charged a flat fee for management, let’s say $89.99/mo, would you consider using them? Here’s an estimated fee structure: 

$299 onboarding fee no matter how many units
20-50% of first months rent depending on units 

$199 renewal fee

50/50 split on late fees 

NO vacancy charges 

$75 fee for contractor coordination. We manage getting bids, scheduling with tenant, etc. Work is billed directly through the contractor with no markup from us to the property owner. 

I have the ability with my broker to start this project, and we’re considering having my wife leave her current position to get this off the ground. 

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated! As rents are appreciating above $1k in Detroit, and well over that in the Metro area, there seems to potentially be a need for this in the market.  

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Kyle Leveque there are already 3 players we know of in the Metro Detroit market offering flats fees - out of 95 PMC's were aware of (there are more).

    DM us for a conversation.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Kyle, I normally don't advise people NOT to do things but this is one of those ideas I think is best avoided.

    I wrote a detailed blog post recently about why Detroit property management fees are what they are. Thinking you can offer a cheaper and also better service is a pipe dream.

    Beyond that, it's great you're having success self-managing your Detroit properties. I do the same (well, mostly my wife does). And honestly, we don't enjoy it. I couldn't imagine doing it for other people. It sounds like a complete nightmare.

    I would continue focusing your efforts on your own investing and let the folks that are doing the very tough business of property management eek out the extremely small margins. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.