How accurate is the BLS data?

How accurate is the BLS data?

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 165 posts · 65 votes
I'm trying to compare areas by how diversify their economy so I'm looking at the BLS data report for Columbus OH and I see the numbers are a bit off:
The Civilian labor force is 1,120.7 while the Total Nonfarm jobs are 1,157.1 (36k difference).
As much as I understand Civilian labor force is the total potential force and Total Nonfarm is a percentage of the Civilian labor force.
Am I wrong?
Is the data discrepancy due to these two fields come form two different data sources and since this is statistical data then there can be a difference in the data?

(Data source link: https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/oh_columbus_msa.htm#eag_...)
1Reply
9 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 165 posts · 65 votes
    2y

    Another question: What is the best way to check a metro economy strength and diversification?

    I guess economy strength is also dependent on the sectors?! If a metro has 50% of the people work in the tourism industry most likely that area will get hit worse than area with only 10% who work in the tourism industry in case of a recession? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.