Duplexes - Tenant or landlord handles yard care?

Duplexes - Tenant or landlord handles yard care?

Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 8 votes

Hey everyone! I'm under contract to purchase 4 SFH three of which used to be duplexes. Since those 3 are all still zoned as MFR, my goal is to convert them back to duplexes and hopefully place section 8 tenants. Right now obviously the tenants are responsible for keeping up with their yard since they're SFH. With me converting them back to MFR, should I be the one to handle Lawncare? Would love to know how fellow duplex owners handle this!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · NY · Member since 2020 · 70 posts · 27 votes
2y

@Erin Church

I have the grass cut and it's already added in the rents

.. I want the yard to stay nice

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    With my duplexes, the tenants take care of the yards but I've always provided mowers and garden hoses, sprinklers. 

    They are in charge of their own snow removal.

    3 units or larger, we take care of all yard stuff. @Lexi Blevins

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Thank you Steve!!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    Depends on how they are structured and the leases.  Some duplexes will be up-down with one having access to the front yard and another to the back.  Others will be side by side with fences.

    For any of my homes, the tenants are responsible for mowing the lawn.  Doesn't always work out well.  Another option is you can include the cutting of the grass and pay someone to do it.  In that case, charge a premium to include that in the rent.

  • Erin ChurchPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2017 · 254 posts · 233 votes
    2y

    For multifamily, I take care of the yards (well, I have a yard person do it). It prevents having half the yard look crazy and the rest look good. Also means tenants aren't storing mowers/gas under, near, around the house. It's a pretty big added benefit to the tenants as well. :) 

  • Real Estate Broker · NY · Member since 2020 · 70 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    @Erin Church

    I have the grass cut and it's already added in the rents

    .. I want the yard to stay nice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.