Looking for an experienced business partner in LA - Spec homes, STRs, hotels etc

Looking for an experienced business partner in LA - Spec homes, STRs, hotels etc

west hollywood, CA · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 3 votes

Hey everyone,

I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to quit my day job and go full-time into real estate investing. 

I'm looking for someone to team up with who has similar knowledge, experience, and vision to me. I'm not looking to hold someone's hand, I'm looking for someone who has already done a couple of projects already and wants to scale.

Like a tennis player trying to get better, I'd love a partner who's "better" than me, but I'll settle for commensurate! (im also trying to get back into tennis after a 10 year break lol).

I'm 35, British, used to be an actor and then became a successful personal trainer, but real estate was always the end game. Most of my knowledge comes from bigger pockets, other online forums, books, courses, and youtube. None of my knowledge comes from mentors or in-person interactions. This is what I'm looking for, but rather than a mentor I'd like someone on the same level as me so we can bounce ideas off each other, check each other's work/assumptions. I'm tired of learning in a vacuum by myself and not knowing whether my ideas are any good/valid. I've gone to a couple of meetups but so far no luck meeting anyone like me.

My Experience:

- Own my own renovated condo

- Renovated a successful luxury Airbnb (Gutted an existing home, added, sqft & pool, now one of the top performing STR in the area)

- Broken ground on a future STR/showcase home (already have interest from design publications to follow along)

- In the middle of a 2000sqft flip

- Design stages with an architect on a luxury spec home in the desert (land bought, topos done)

With the success of the current Airbnb and designs for upcoming houses, I have decent access to capital but obviously would want a partner who also has their own capital pipeline.

I love all aspects of real estate, but it's rooted in design and the end-user experience. I'm interested mostly in luxury spec homes, STRs, hotels/motels, and land development.

Whilst I'm always looking to network, and meet investors, builders, loan officers etc, this post is about finding a long-term partner.

If there's anyone out there in LA who feels like there in the same boat, let's chat!

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Ben Johnstone

    I'd invest significantly more time and effort in going to meetups - I think that's your best bet here.

    I spent a couple years in the Washington DC area going to 1-4 a month, and when I moved, I immediately found the meetups in my new area and started going.  I'd recommend being willing to drive a couple hours - you have several other counties there within a couple hours drive of you that probably have great meetups.  If you go to one and it doesn't offer you anything, cross it off and on to the next one.  

  • west hollywood, CA · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the advice! It’s been hard to find the time but once I dial back on my day job it will be easier. 

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ben Johnstone:

    Thank you for the advice! It’s been hard to find the time but once I dial back on my day job it will be easier. 

    Have tried attending fortune builders events ?  The networking to find like minded potential partners may be a good avenue to pursue .
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.