Looking for advice on how to find a mentor in real estate

Looking for advice on how to find a mentor in real estate

New to Real Estate · Poconos Pa · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes

Hello BiggerPockets family,

This is my first post ever with this amazing community of knowledgeable investors and I hope to someday be able to give back to all that I have learned from all of you.



If I may take a moment to introduce myself and perhaps paint a picture of my skills and understanding, this may help in answering a few of the questions I have for all of you. 

I am a medically retired Veteran who is looking to make real estate investing my way to build a future for myself and my family. I currently reside in Pennsylvania and am doing much of my investment searching in my local area in the Northeast and central part of the state as I am very familiar with these areas. 

As a rookie investor, meaning I have currently only own one property, I am looking for a mentor that can help me to bounce ideas off of and to put what I am learning into play more quickly and effectively as I am in a very competitive market. I am a true rookie as I only have about 14 months of education and knowledge through my reading of several books, the biggerpockets podcast, and the great forums. 

I have been very fortunate to find a great property management company and realtor that are working with me and have been very helpful but as a new investor, I struggle to formulate creative ways to close the deals I come across.  

As far as what I have done to find a mentor. Honestly, not much as I am a little intimidated with the process and how to approach someone since I don't have much to offer to them other than my time and willingness to work hard and hustle. 

Just recently I have been attending a few virtual meet up groups with other investors in my area but at those events I find myself being very lost and overwhelmed by the conversations so it's hard to contribute much to them at present. I am looking for a few in-person in my area but nothing to date. 

I am curious to know how others approached finding a mentor or mentor/partnership and what successes you have found. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated as I have no ego and realize I am new and a forever student.   

Regards, 

Jason

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
4y

Join local Meetups

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jocelyn KaufmanBusiness Member
    Realtor · UT · Member since 2022 · 63 posts · 42 votes
    4y

    Make sure you are always trying to learn about all aspects of real estate. I would listen to a lot of podcasts and read some books to start. Create that foundation first. Then make sure to participate in the forums and learn from others whenever possible. 

    As far as mentoring, find someone you relate to. Find someone who has been in a similar situation. 

    I hope this helps!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    Join local Meetups

  • Deer Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 115 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    Find a REIA close to you and attend. You can meet many people willing to share tips and tricks with you.

  • Liam TenniesPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    Hey Jason, I have a couple notes for you but just know you are doing all the right things. I was in a similar circumstance a few years back when getting started.

    It's not easy "finding" a mentor. What you should be doing is basic networking. I agree with some of the comments above that you should be going to local meetups and just talking about your journey and goals in RE. Ask others about their experiences, goals, and listen intently. ***If you're not comfortable in some of the current networking events you're attending - start your own. More comfortable in a casual bar-type setting? Host a happy hour somewhere to just talk real estate. Maybe for the first one you present the experience you had with your first deal. Post about it here on BP, and tell others in your area who you know are interested in RE. 

    I found my mentor by having similar goals, similar values, but he was a few years ahead in his journey. I think the sweet spot for a mentor is 3-5 years ahead of you in experience, age, or goal seeking. This way you will be able to relate to them more and they're not too far ahead of you. As time goes on you'll build a relationship and trust and it will become more clear on how you can add value to them.

    Good luck!!

  • New to Real Estate · Poconos Pa · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jocelyn Kaufman:

    Make sure you are always trying to learn about all aspects of real estate. I would listen to a lot of podcasts and read some books to start. Create that foundation first. Then make sure to participate in the forums and learn from others whenever possible. 

    As far as mentoring, find someone you relate to. Find someone who has been in a similar situation. 

    I hope this helps!


     Jocelyn,

    thanks so much for your recommendations.  I appreciate it.  

    Jason

  • New to Real Estate · Poconos Pa · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    Join local Meetups


     thanks Drew. I have joined two so far but there are still via zoom so there is not much interaction that can go on like in person it seems. 

  • New to Real Estate · Poconos Pa · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sean Toomey:

    Find a REIA close to you and attend. You can meet many people willing to share tips and tricks with you.


     Sean,

    Thanks for the insights.  That's a great idea. I haven't thought about that but it makes great sense.

    Jason

  • New to Real Estate · Poconos Pa · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Liam Tennies:

    Hey Jason, I have a couple notes for you but just know you are doing all the right things. I was in a similar circumstance a few years back when getting started.

    It's not easy "finding" a mentor. What you should be doing is basic networking. I agree with some of the comments above that you should be going to local meetups and just talking about your journey and goals in RE. Ask others about their experiences, goals, and listen intently. ***If you're not comfortable in some of the current networking events you're attending - start your own. More comfortable in a casual bar-type setting? Host a happy hour somewhere to just talk real estate. Maybe for the first one you present the experience you had with your first deal. Post about it here on BP, and tell others in your area who you know are interested in RE. 

    I found my mentor by having similar goals, similar values, but he was a few years ahead in his journey. I think the sweet spot for a mentor is 3-5 years ahead of you in experience, age, or goal seeking. This way you will be able to relate to them more and they're not too far ahead of you. As time goes on you'll build a relationship and trust and it will become more clear on how you can add value to them.

    Good luck!!


     Liam,

    Thank you so much for sharing your insight and I really appreciate the vote of confidence.  Sometimes it can be very overwhelming and feel like you are in it alone; at least for now. 

    These are some great ideas.  I thought about starting my own meetup but was a bit intimidated by the process.  But now that you mention it,  I think getting myself out there more often to meet people, and doing so in person will help. I hadn't thought of posting it here on BP which is a great idea. I am a people person so I like meeting in person and getting to learn from others.  I love the idea of finding someone not too far ahead of myself but just enough to provide some good relatable experience and the ability to team up together.  I am a big fan of helping everyone win at this and am excited to eventually find that mentor. 

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience and thoughts with me. This community is so great. 

    Jason 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.