learning how to get plumbing quotes/quotes in Cincinnati

learning how to get plumbing quotes/quotes in Cincinnati

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Greetings All!

1) I'm looking to get quotes for a plumbing job in Cincinnati. Growing up, there were no professionals available so I only observed REI family working with good 'ol boys and sketchy fellas. Quotes were not something available and usually there was only one or two folks in the area who were jacks-of-all-trades... masters of none. I need to learn how REI works when real professional tradesman with legitimate businesses are involved. Can you toss me some plumbing companies in the Cincinnati area who are happy to work with both investor and residential clients?

2) Being new to Ohio, my REI and Plumber family could look at any quotes and give me their thoughts, but I know they would be influenced by the standards for their regions. (Or lack of standards as noted above.) I need to learn what the general norms for Cincinnati are. What costs do you think I'm looking at for:

Job 1
- new hose bibb and install from inside basement through block to exterior of house. Sounds like permit needed so would I expect plumber to obtain and pay for out of the quote?
- first quote is $657
Job 2
- dig up about seventy feet of corrugated pipe in heavy clay with random buried building debris, replace with about seventy feet of 4" SDR 35 pipe and fittings. Mini-excavator needed to dig up old pipe, backfill hole, do grading.
- first quote is $1,691

Thanks for taking the time to help us get our sea legs... um... Ohio legs?

Rebecca

1Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 474 posts · 580 votes
    4y

    @Rebecca Emory I own and operate a general contracting company here in Cincinnati. We do our own plumbing work and bring in licensed subcontractors where needed. I would imagine doing a minor addition to add a hose bib is not something that most people would pull a permit for, you certainly could and I am sure the county would be happy you did and paid them. However, unless you are getting other inspections that would be out of the norm to pull a plumbing permit for a minor water line addition. As for costs, that seems about right if you are hiring a licensed plumber and they are pulling a permit which adds a lot of time and costs plus an inspection fee.

    As for the second job, that seems very cheap, that is a lot of excavation, grading after, and work for the price. If they seem like a reputable company I would jump on that one.  

    If you have any other questions feel free to reach out, good luck! 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Joseph Cornwell Thanks for the insight on both jobs! I was thinking of a hose bibb like the water line for a refrigerator - "it doesn't seem that involved or risky so why does the county ask for a permit." As you noted, money is the perfect answer to my query.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.