ADU in Bay Area California - contractor and loan info

ADU in Bay Area California - contractor and loan info

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hi BiggerPockets,

I am planning to build a detached ADU. I am located in Dublin CA. I am talking to local contractors and architects to understand the cost, timeline and benefits. I am posting it here to get feedback from the experienced people. There are multiple options i.e. prefab or build from scratch etc. As of now I am looking to build one with the help of a contractor, and looking for some local contractors who can help build it end to end, including architecting, permit approval and construction.

There have been lot of changes in the county rules and the approval process has become much easier compared to what was there in the past 2-3 years back. With that the ROI has improved a lot.

After looking into various financing options, I am planning to use my pre-approved HELOC and cash to finance this.

Is there any specific thing which I should be aware or take care for this project in Bay area? 

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or tips.

Best,
Jitendra

1Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    4y

    Very Exciting man! Best thing I could recommend is do your due diligence. Especially if you haven't built anything before. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Pavan Sandhu:

    Very Exciting man! Best thing I could recommend is do your due diligence. Especially if you haven't built anything before. 

    Sure. Thanks Pavan !

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    3y

    Try to design the floorplan that gives you the max return (both rental and resale). And keep the cost low. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 137 posts · 106 votes
    3y

    Consider pre-fab ADUs - a cost-saving option compared to traditional construction. I had a client work with Cutting Edge Homes for his ADU in Sacramento (not sure whether or not the same company will go all the way down to Dublin) and it saved him about 20% on the construction costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.