Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Votes |
Luxury Vinyl Plank comparison chart and experience

Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Posted

Hi BP,

I recently purchased LVP for my personal residence, and due to my "type A" personality spent quite a bit of time researching options :-)  I made a table to keep track of various factors, and wanted to share it here in case it's helpful to anyone else.  I did most of this research in August 2020 so of course things may change, and I may have missed a thing or two, but I figured it might be useful to have an overview of some prominent brands if anyone else is as overwhelmed starting their search as I was.

The brands I considered were all click-lock installation floating floors at least 5mm think, in the ~$2-4 price range, and all claim to be waterproof, scratch resistant, and stain resistant.  Some have multiple lines with other features and I'm just showing the line that most closely matched my criteria.

(If the image doesn't display well, you can also find the chart here)

I also made note of various helpful reviews (many from BP):

LifeProof +s: "best overall," "easy to install, great value," 

LifeProof -s: "tabs break during install"

TM Allure Ultra +s: "held up great"

TM Allure Ultra -s: negative reviews on houzz, subfloor unevenness issues

Smartcore Ultra -s: negative reviews on houzz

NuCore +s: "great over imperfect subfloor"

NuCore -s: "shouldn't be used in wet rooms"

DuraLax -s: weight limit and issues with area rugs

Mohawk SolidTech -s: lots of bad reviews on floorcritics

CoreTec +s: great product at great price

I ended up going with CoreTec ProPlus since I found it on sale for $2.50, and I'm actually not very happy with it!  I think mainly I didn't think enough about the design since I was primarily concerned with durability, and I really don't like the one I chose (Chesapeake Oak).  I'd heard that CoreTec ProPlus is one of their cheaper lines in part because the designs are less realistic, and I definitely see that.

My other issue is less about the floor itself - my subfloor is in pretty bad shape (lots of dips and one area with major slope), and we didn't fully realize the extent of it until after we installed the LVP. We actually plan to take it back up to further repair the subfloor, and then re-install :-p.  Based on my experience, I definitely can't recommend the 5mm CoreTec ProPlus for anyone with any subfloor imperfections unless you're planning to do a very thorough repair job!

Hope this is helpful :-)

Loading replies...