Man afraid of FROGS awarded over 1 million dollars

Man afraid of FROGS awarded over 1 million dollars

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes

I have just about heard it all now in real estate!

Frog-phobic man awarded $1.6M over runoff flooding
Loading... Share No Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes 17 Email Story Print 11 hours ago
CLARENCE, N.Y. (AP) — Paul Marinaccio Sr. traces his fear of frogs to a childhood incident in Italy when a man holding bullfrogs chased him away after he'd wandered from the vineyard where his parents worked.

Decades later, he found himself describing his phobia to a jury, calling himself "a prisoner in my own home" after runoff water from a nearby development turned his 40-acre property into wetlands and inundated it with frogs.

"I am petrified. I go home at night and I can't get in my garage because of the frogs," Marinaccio testified in 2009. "They're right in front of the damn door, OK?"

It was part of a seven-year legal fight involving Marinaccio, the town of Clarence and a developer that, according to The Buffalo News, finally ended last month when the state's highest court ruled that Marinaccio, who was awarded $1.6 million in compensation after the 2009 trial, is not entitled to an additional $250,000 in punitive damages.

Marinaccio sued Clarence, a Buffalo suburb, and Kieffer Enterprises Inc. after runoff diverted onto Marinaccio's property from a new Kieffer subdivision turned it into wetlands. A town engineer initially said the water would flow into a ditch elsewhere on Kieffer property. The town later discovered the ditch was actually on Marinaccio's property, and that it was too small to handle the flow of water.

Lawyers on both sides said Monday that Marinaccio's frog testimony amounted to just moments of a more than three-week trial — and may not have affected the jury's award. The Court of Appeals, however, referred to it in a five-page decision in which it determined that while Marinaccio had been wronged, the developer hadn't acted maliciously.

"This newly created wetland caused mosquitoes to breed and frogs to gather on plaintiff's property, about which plaintiff is particularly phobic," the court wrote in an opinion dated March 21. "Consequently, plaintiff had problems traversing his property without the assistance of his family and friends, whom plaintiff would often call on to remove frogs from his driveway and near the door of his home."

"I'm petrified of the little creatures," Marinaccio, 65, said in Monday's Buffalo News.

The lower court jury returned a verdict of $1.3 million against the town and $328,400 against Kieffer for compensatory damages, as well as $250,000 in punitive damages against Kieffer.

In reversing the punitive damages, the Court of Appeals said they are awarded only when there is evidence "of spite or malice, or a fraudulent or evil motive on the part of the defendant, or such a conscious and deliberate disregard of the interests of others that the conduct may be called willful or wanton."

As part of a post-verdict agreement, the town will dig ditches to help dry out Marinaccio's land.

The property owner told the newspaper his plans involve much bigger creatures than frogs.

"I'm going to put cows out there," Marinaccio said.

———

Information from: The Buffalo News, http://www.buffalonews.com

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
13y

Joel, I am afraid of being poor. Who can I sue?
-Ned

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Joel, I am afraid of being poor. Who can I sue?
    -Ned

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    Wow. Is that even a legit phobia? I think he should be compensated in some way because of the actual water damage on the land but to get 1.3 million is outrageous IMO.

  • Real Estate Agent · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    What's worse is he's going to spend it on cattle @.@

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Ned Carey:
    Joel, I am afraid of being poor. Who can I sue?

    I was going to sue because I didn't have enough money. But it was just too much work...

    Anyone know a way to make money without so much effort?

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    13y

    While the article talks about the frog-phobia, the 1.3 mil was for the damage to the property, and the punitive damages were struck down. I'm sure all of us would be ready to sue if someone's development turned our property into a wetland and destroyed its Highest and Best Use.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Joel Owens Keep watching it, I'm sure the next lawsuit will be on behalf of the frogs! @J Scott, there's your answer, YOU be the one to bring that suit!

    Troy Fisher It doesn't say anywhere that he contacted the developer and they refused to divert the water or do anything to stop the eggs from hatching (there are natural predators to small frogs - Bullfrogs) to help him. The first thing people think of is suing, it should be the last. That's why we have all these ridiculous regulations and it costs so much to develop property any more.

    It also says it's in a suburb where another subdivision was being built, meaning it's probably not swamplands all the time, and besides, the frogs only lay eggs in Spring and only hang around when it's wet.

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 252 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    What I don't understand is the development was built in 2002...why did the developer not take measures to divert the runoff immediately? Seven year fight and now the town is digging ditches to dry out his land? Seems like the attorneys made some bucks when this probably could have been settled rather quickly.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I think this guy should be forced to spend about a week in a prison cell with 200 frogs for bringing such a stupid lawsuit to court.

    This reminds me of a clip Jimmy Kimmel had of a guy on Maury Povich who was "terrified of peaches". They showed a few dozen peaches on the TV screen and the guy screamed like a little girl that saw a spider.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Jim M. How was the developer supposed to know that the natural run off from his project was going to cause frogs to appear on a neighboring property?

    When developing property we submit plans and go through all different types of approval, from the grading permit process (which shows where water flows) to every other conceivable permit and approval... Once a project is approved, and the developer builds according to the approved plans, they shouldn't be liable for such nonsense.

    Life happens, and sometimes we just have to deal with it without expecting to be compensated. Or .. maybe developers should tag on a few thousand dollars per house to pay for an insurance policy that will cover idiotic lawsuits.

    And yes.... I've dealt with frogs. In fact our 20 acres gets THOUSANDS of them little tiny ones every spring, that croak so loud and are annoying...but soon, the water dries up, and the frogs are gone.

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 252 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    Karen MargraveI imagine it was the insurance company that defended the company and is going to be paying off the landowner. I'm sure if the frog guy created something on his property to devalue the developers property that developer would sue that guy in a heartbeat.

    I'm also very skeptical as to why this wasn't resolved immediately instead of dragging on for a decade. The town is now resolving the issue with the drainage when it seems logical that the ditches could have been dug out at first sign of the flooding.

    Someone made a mistake with the development plain and simple.

  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    13y

    To me the lawsuit sounds like its headline is just to get attention. I am sure the frog-phobia played little or no role in the actual lawsuit (the article hints at that too). Karen Margrave is correct when describing the process a developer must go through to get there project approved.

    I am a Civil Engineer specializing in Water. The city engineer messed up and the engineer the developer hired messed up and now they are paying to fix it. In CA your development cannot affect any of the surrounding properties with water runoff and even have to be designed as if the development was not even there to avoid problems with overloading the stormdrains. I would guess that most states have similar laws.

    My grandfather was a developer in So. Cal for a long time and has some good stories about crazy lawsuits. Fact is that developers usually have assets/money to fund their deals so they are a target for lawsuits but in this case there were problems with the project. I would hate to have someone build right next to me then dump all there water right into my property.

    The City approves the plans but they are going to be the last one to actually accept responsibility for mistakes they do not catch. They usually fight longer (City Attorney) and harder (tax funds) and the developer gets stuck with the bill and the developer will make the engineer's insurance pay for it.

  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Ned Carey:
    Joel, I am afraid of being poor. Who can I sue?

    I was going to sue because I didn't have enough money. But it was just too much work...

    Anyone know a way to make money without so much effort?

    I know this guy that will teach you everything you need to know about real estate in just a few hours. Then you can sit back on the beach and watch the money roll in with the tide. All you need to do is put a little investment up front then financial freedom is yours.

    Call now to reserve your stop in his ultra secret seminar that the government doesn't want you to know about and you will be making millions before you know it.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    C'mon BP Nation. Read. Think.

    The headline was purposely used to get you all thinking that the award was based on frog phobia. Which it was not. There's nothing in the article or the case that says the jury awarded the plaintiff damages based on the frogs. It even admits that the few minutes of frog phobia testimony probably had no bearing on the award. The plaintiff award was based on the town and developer turning his 40-acre property into a wetland. They did it by mistake but they did cause harm, and it was not remedied in a timely way. Think about having your own property turned into a wetland (frogs and mosquitos! aside) without permission or remedy from the city. Hardly a frivolous case, IMO.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    C'mon BP Nation. Read. Think.

    You actually bothered to read the article? So gullible... ;-)

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    C'mon BP Nation. Read. Think.

    You actually bothered to read the article? So gullible... ;-)

    Oh, to be gullible. What a relief that would be! Then I could believe everything I read (and see on Fox News). And I would be free to trash talk someone else's damages award as if I knew what I was talking about. :)

    Admittedly, I have my own knee-jerk reactions to the the knee-jerk reactions of others. The headline of this story, and the (often typical) reactions to it is why there are scary tort reform laws being passed.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by J Scott:

    Anyone know a way to make money without so much effort?

    Yeah it's called counterfeiting :)-

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.