• Accountant
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Basement Subflooring OSB vs Concrete

Riley Blake
  • Accountant
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Dec 31 2019, 15:45

Anyone know the pros and cons of basement OSB wood subflooring and pros and cons of a concrete subfloor?

I’m looking at a house in Minnesota that has OSB wood subfloor in the basement. I haven’t heard of many houses like that and wondering what problems I might run into down the road. Concrete to me sounds like the much better alternative. I’m wondering if anyone has ever backed out of a deal because the basement didn’t have concrete flooring.

- Riley

User Stats

Votes
Todd Solberg
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Byron, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Byron, MN
Replied Dec 31 2019, 16:59

Riley, I've worked in my fair share of homes as a flooring installer during my younger years and have not seen a basement wood subflooring. I have seen wood foundations in my area but not sub floors. Personally I wouldn't buy a home with wood below grade, it deteriorates. A contractor may tell you it will last as long as block and could be true, it's a cost savings to build wood but to me all the moisture is there and could be a problem in the future.

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 1 2020, 10:45

The only wood subfloors I have seen were put on top of concrete....  Placing wood right on the ground (especially OSB) would deteriorate relatively quickly.  

Are you sure it isn't a wood subfloor such as a dricore over a concrete slab?

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Solberg
Pro Member
  • Byron, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Byron, MN
Replied Jan 2 2020, 05:33

Good point John, I forgot to mention that in my post. There is usually a vapor barrier on the dricore, etc. That helps with any moisture issues. 

User Stats

Votes
Amber Gonion
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hugo, MN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hugo, MN
Replied Jan 4 2020, 11:28

Treated wood with vapor barrier works good if done property and tested before installation.  it adds insulation especially if it is laid on studs.   If you notice any soft spots or warping at all plan on pulling it out.  Why pull out of a deal when you can use it to negotiate a better deal and put the flooring of your choice.