Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
Hey Everyone!
I had a question about financing for a new build for my family's lake house. We know alot of people in the industry when it comes to plumbing and such, and we even know a group of Amish people, that build homes, and do an amazing job, and a few of our lake neighbors have used them. However, I do not believe the Amish our 'licensed' and our family friend is a retired plumber, and is no longer licensed, or his licensed is inactive. I know with construction loans that banks make you use licensed contractors, but we would really like to use the Amish if at possible, because one, they are cheaper, and two, they really do amazing work.
So my question is, does anyone know if there are any hard money lenders, or anything like that you have used in the past? Or any suggestions?
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Some hard money lenders may allow that especially if they are familiar with the work of the Amish; other than that private loans with fewer restrictions may be a good option, also depending on the cost a HELOC may be an option.
I am not sure how Ohio is set up with their GC situation, but I have a few GC friends who have been paid to use their license while someone else w/o license GC's the build. It can be a cheaper alternative than hiring a GC for the whole hosue but would allow you to get conventional financing and use any sub you wished.
Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 91 votes
8y
Like @Kyle H. said, you can probably get a GC to let you use their license as long as they can get comfort around the quality of the work.
I don't live in Columbus so i'm not as versed in the regulations as I am in Nashville. The issue I see here is if you're not using licensed HVAC, electrical, and plumbing contractors you won't be able to pull permits. If you can't pull permits then the city will not turn on your water or electricity. In Nashville if you do this you will get hit with a fee for not going through the codes department. You then have to hire a licensed contractor to inspect the work and retroactively pull a permit. It ends up being more expensive then just hiring someone licensed to do the work.