Roofer started work before told to by insurance

Roofer started work before told to by insurance

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 5 votes

Almost a year a storm damaged my roof. I was told by several roofers that it couldn't be patched and needed to be redone. I hired a lawyer to fight the insurance company which claimed only a few shingles needed to be replaced.

Finally, after almost a year the lawyers were able to get the insurance to an arbitration where everyone meets on site at the house to inspect it and agree upon an amount the insurance would pay.

I had already found a roofer and scheduled him in email form to start work 2 days after the arbitration date. However, the roofer started the day before the arbitration date, against authorization, destroying the evidence so my lawyers told me that the insurance won't cover anything. This is entirely the roofers fault.

Now I'm fighting the roofer because he wants payment.  I've already asked him for a discount to settle the issue but he had refused.  If I don't pay him he could put a lien on the house.

What should I do? A few options I see are just to pay him, to sue him in small claims or wait and fight the lien later. What if I quitclaimed it to another llc?

Thanks

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Georgetown, MA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Chris M.  Do you have documentation of the agreement with the roofer?

    If you do, you should be in the clear but might need to get the courts involved.  If not, it's your word against his.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Yes I have an email from myself and another email from my wife where we both stated the date he should start. Thanks

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Don't pay him crap. Go small claims. It's not the contract.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.