Process steps to build short-term rental Airbnb container home from scratch on land

Process steps to build short-term rental Airbnb container home from scratch on land

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 12 votes

Hi all,

I want to build a short term rental Airbnb on my family’s property. We own the property outright, so there is no work needed to acquire the land and Airbnbs are allowed. I would love feedback on the process and steps I should take to build everything out and in what order. Is there anything I’m missing or anything I’m not thinking about? Would you rearrange the order of these steps at all? I’d love any feedback you might have and I hope this is helpful to others as well that are in the same boat as I am!

Step #

Phase

Step

1

Discovery

Talk to experts and learn (process, tips, design tips)

2

Discovery

Create social media and document story

3

Discovery

General research - budget considerations, financing options, permits, regulations, tax considerations

4

Discovery

Market research - competitor analysis, analyze guest reviews, market trends

5

Discovery

Gather ideas/inspo (blogs, articles, youtube)

6

Define

Create brand and vision

7

Define

Create guest requirements (e.g. coffee maker, natural light, near activities, etc.) and prioritize must have, nice to have, etc.

8

Define

Sketch idea for look and feel (architecture and design) - map out the floor layout

9

Define

Consult an architect (is this needed?)

10

Define

Consult an exterior designer (outside of house and landscape) (is this needed?)

11

Define

Consult an interior designer

12

Plan

Create project plan (timelines, key dates, who to contact)

13

Plan

Create budget and brainstorm financing options

14

Plan

Secure financing

15

Build

Get permits and licenseses

16

Build

Get water/electricity/power hookups set up

17

Build

Prepare for build (e.g. lay foundation)

18

Build

Buy structure

19

Build

Build and remodel structure (insulation, electric, siding, etc.)

20

Build

Build out interior design (e.g. paint, decorate, etc.) and buy appliances/decor

21

Build

Build out lawn and landscape

22

Build

Finalize the exterior of the building (e.g. paint and fixtures)

23

Market

Take photos

24

Market

Create listing

25

Market

Create website

Thanks!

Hunter

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 917 posts · 266 votes
    2y

    @Hunter Beck I would revise the order of your steps. 1. Feasibility study; network with other STVR builders using containers. Is there a demand from vacationers for such a property? Do people pay premiums to stay in one , if so, for what reason?2. Get plans drawn and get estimates from subs to get a total cost price for property. If there is no cost savings don t use containers.

    Investigate use of ICFs for a build as you can build from foundation to rafters on a DIY basis in less than one week.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    @Todd Goedeke -Very interesting! I appreciate your perspective (e.g. Do some research and gather costs before marching down the road too far). Thank you!

    Hadn't really considered other building structures/materials, so will need to do some research on cost for materials that still align with the vision, look, and feel. Thank you again!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    I'd be curious if anyone has recommendations for different building types/materials that are cost efficient and also look good. I want this to be high quality with high quality amenities. 

    It would be located near a wedding venue, hunting retreat, and about 25 minutes outside of a major university town (e.g. could rent for college football gamedays). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.