User Stats

Votes
Sina Haron
Votes |
Transitioning to Residential Land Development

Sina Haron
Posted Apr 2 2024, 08:16

Hello Bigger Pockets Community,

I'm an investor with experience in commercial and industrial spaces, now moving into residential land development in Georgia and the Carolinas, focusing on large tracts up to 100 acres. I'm seeking insights and guidance from professionals with expertise in residential development.

I'm looking to understand the essential evaluation parameters for residential development opportunities and learn about efficient quick & dirty underwriting.

If you have relevant experience or knowledge, please reach out.

I am open to potential collaborations.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 2 2024, 11:53

have you tried infill lots in existing developments ? 

User Stats

Votes
Sina Haron
Votes |
Replied Apr 3 2024, 07:30

Thanks. I'm focusing on large tracts.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dimitra Manou
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Apr 4 2024, 11:21
Quote from @Sina Haron:

Hello Bigger Pockets Community,

I'm an investor with experience in commercial and industrial spaces, now moving into residential land development in Georgia and the Carolinas, focusing on large tracts up to 100 acres. I'm seeking insights and guidance from professionals with expertise in residential development.

I'm looking to understand the essential evaluation parameters for residential development opportunities and learn about efficient quick & dirty underwriting.

If you have relevant experience or knowledge, please reach out.

I am open to potential collaborations.

Thanks!

I have large tracks of land in Alabama and NC.

I DM you. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Bell
  • Developer
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 9 2024, 18:49

@Dimitra Manou

Do you know the resources and due diligence needed to develop a large parcel of land? Please make sure you understand how to evaluate land before you buy. I develop for a living and it is easy to buy a piece of land and pay too much because of the cost to develop it. Land is worth what can be put on it. If you cannot make and accurate assessment of what will fit on the property than you cannot make a proper evaluation of value.

User Stats

Votes
Dimitra Manou
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Apr 12 2024, 12:00
Quote from @Kenneth Bell:

@Dimitra Manou

Do you know the resources and due diligence needed to develop a large parcel of land? Please make sure you understand how to evaluate land before you buy. I develop for a living and it is easy to buy a piece of land and pay too much because of the cost to develop it. Land is worth what can be put on it. If you cannot make and accurate assessment of what will fit on the property than you cannot make a proper evaluation of value.

Thank you for the infomation, Kenneth.

I'm partnering with a land developer who has 20 years successful experience in this industry.

Furthermore, he knows the head of the county, engineers and many others.

The properties are way below market value.

With that said, there is almost no room for mistakes. 

Thanks though. Land developing can be hard and it's not for everyone.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Sullivan
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Apr 12 2024, 12:40

CCIM has a Development Specialty Track that may interest you.
https://www.ccim.com/education/professional-development/deve...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2024, 13:20

Sina - 

Entitlements can really make or break the success of larger track developments. What can you build by right, how hard are the restrictions/zoning to change?
  Are there any hazards that need to be avoided or assets to the property to exploit?
  If purely residential, creative use strategies and layouts can really help boost yields and the resulting quality of the product. Many developers look for lower cost civil engineering services to start, and the result is less than desirable. Density is your friend, but seek out how to best do it to create a desirable place, minimize you utility/road costs, and retain value throughout the development stages (if phased).
  Nature can be a great asset, resist wholesale clear cutting!