Use Syndication for new construction in fill project

Use Syndication for new construction in fill project

Investor · Dinuba, CA · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 10 votes

Hi everyone,

I came across a good property (cluster of 4 lots) that can be reconfigured into 9 SFD lots. I can pick it up for a good price and the city is on board with the development as it was underway with the previous owner. I started looking around for financing but seem to have hit a bit of a wall as most of the lenders are asking how many projects I have finished as the owner/on title. The answer is zero, however, I tried to explain that I work for a real estate development company and I run multimillion-dollar projects every day (over 200 MF and 80 SFD in the last 4 years) but that was not enough to convince them. I am also a GC with decades of work under my belt, but they were not impressed. 

My question is this, has anyone started a syndication (I looked into Syndication Pro) to fund projects? On the surface, it seems like a good fit as I would be preparing all of my proforma and scheduling info no matter the funding source so why not pitch it to investors? the plan is to buy the land and start building right away on the two lots that are ready while the other lots are mapped. 

the market I am looking at is solid, low DOM for any good listings in this area and the city is going to waive a lot of fees since they want the housing and I am working on an infill project. Any ideas would be great! Thanks. 

0Reply
18 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
    2y

    Hi Estevan, I'm a land broker in Southern California.  You should just find a local investor from your area, i.e. a rich old man/family.  This is too small to run a syndication on.  There should be local investors in Fresno or Bakersfield who would see your vision and the numbers on the proforma and be willing to back you. How do you find them? Networking, calling around.  

  • Estevan BenavidesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Dinuba, CA · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    I thought so. I’m still new/learning the investment side. Thanks for the info. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Estevan Benavides

    The other hurdle you will run into is until the land is entitled you will have trouble financing it. Even though a county “seems onboard” it’s never a given with them until you have your site plan approved.

    Up through that time expect to use your own funds or get an investor but they will want a good percentage of the deal due to the risk involved

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Travis BeckBusiness Member
    Fresno, CA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    Estevan,

    Have you tried Mid Valley Finance? I know they take a longer look at projects like this in the valley and I have noticed they tend to accept more projects sometimes but depending on experience you may be asked to bring more money in than an experienced developer and likely to have a higher interest rate. Let me know if you’d like a connection to somebody there. Goodluck!

  • Estevan BenavidesPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Dinuba, CA · Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Travis Beck

    I have not reached out to MVF, if you could provide a contact that would be awesome. If there is anything I can do on the construction and or development front, please let me know, I see you are local to me. 

    @Chris Seveney

    I understand your perspective and it makes sense. I have a couple of deals that should wrap up in the next few weeks, I guess I can look at purchasing the land and get the entitlements going. I did talk to the planner, the process was stated and approved through the tentative map step but the current owner pulled that and moved out of the country so I will be back at square one. 

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Estevan Benavides:

    Hi everyone,

    I came across a good property (cluster of 4 lots) that can be reconfigured into 9 SFD lots. I can pick it up for a good price and the city is on board with the development as it was underway with the previous owner. I started looking around for financing but seem to have hit a bit of a wall as most of the lenders are asking how many projects I have finished as the owner/on title. The answer is zero, however, I tried to explain that I work for a real estate development company and I run multimillion-dollar projects every day (over 200 MF and 80 SFD in the last 4 years) but that was not enough to convince them. I am also a GC with decades of work under my belt, but they were not impressed. 

    My question is this, has anyone started a syndication (I looked into Syndication Pro) to fund projects? On the surface, it seems like a good fit as I would be preparing all of my proforma and scheduling info no matter the funding source so why not pitch it to investors? the plan is to buy the land and start building right away on the two lots that are ready while the other lots are mapped. 

    the market I am looking at is solid, low DOM for any good listings in this area and the city is going to waive a lot of fees since they want the housing and I am working on an infill project. Any ideas would be great! Thanks. 


     too small to syndicate 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.