Off-grid build-to-sell feasibility

Off-grid build-to-sell feasibility

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Let me preface this by saying my wife and I are real estate newbies, so this idea might be horrible. That said, it seems to make sense conceptually, so I'd be interested in more experienced opinions.

In a nutshell, we're thinking of taking out a HELOC on our home, buying a piece of land, building the shell of a house on it, renting out our primary residence, and then going to live in the shell of the new house as we build it out into an off-grid homestead property a little at a time. When it's done, we'll either decide it's our own forever home, or we'll sell it and move on.

The main risk I see is that we don't really know what we're getting into when it comes to building an off-grid home. We'll be able to get some ballpark figures on the big pieces, like solar, septic, well, etc., but we'd definitely be learning as we go along, which means there will be a lot of financial variables that we won't know about at the outset. 

My W2 job will cover a couple thousand dollars of expenditures per month, and we'd have the rent money from our current home, plus some HELOC funds available if needed, so I don't see financial survival being an issue. That said, I want to avoid getting into a situation where we want to sell but we're under water on the property.

Ultimately, we'd be counting on property appreciation and our sweat equity to provide enough value to make a profit if we decide to sell a couple of years down the road. The problem is I don't know how much of a pipe dream that might turn out to be. ;)

I should add that this is only one "strategy" we're considering, and we're only considering it because we do desire to personally live off-grid way out in the country someday. However, it might be more feasible to invest in a few more traditional deals first and use that as a springboard to eventually pursue our own personal dream. It's just that this seemed like potentially a way to have the best of both worlds; i.e., get some experience as landlords while also moving to our preferred environment.

I feel like I'm opening myself up to a slew of "you're crazy, pal" responses, but if so, better to find out now than later! Any and all productive feedback is welcome and will be taken to heart.

0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hey Matthew! 

    Apologies in advance for the winded response.

    Your strategy is not a pipe dream - I've done this twice and am currently doing it again now. I've done this to build my proper suburban home, and now I'm swapping this one for my dream home. I can tell you that I would have never been able to get into my first home at 26 years old and trying to figure out my place on earth without this strategy. Your position is a little better than mine because you have the ability to rent your previous one out and pull a HELOC, I took on the route of creative financing on both my selling and buying end. I was able to sell my previous properties with significant down payments and I owner carried, which I am still receiving payments on. I am currently making owner carry payments on my new property, and when my home sells I am also starting my build. (all without a bank being involved)

    Initially I planned on making my dream home totally off-grid, though I have now opted to have it on county power since they agreed to bring it in 700ft for free which helps offset a huge chunk of building costs. (check your town and county programs - they often offer perks for rural development). I also ended up wanting a home that was just going to be too dang big to realistically run it offgrid. Anyway, if you are not particularly driven on what type of structure it needs to be, seriously consider modular. No, not manufactured, modular. Modulars are built with 2x4's (Cavco offers the option to upgrade to 2x6's and IMO is the best modular home maker). just like a house and can be placed on a pad. They look no different than a house. They are turn key, but made in a plant with high standards of quality control and are delivered via semi. They do all the hookups, and they are completely off grid ready give or take a few minor changes. You probably know this, but keep the square footage 1300sq ft or under if you want uninterrupted power and full size appliances. Off grid is amazing when done right, and it doesn't feel any different than being on the grid. It's such a great way to eliminate nearly 80% of your living expenses because you're independent! (this is the house hack option for people who do not like sharing ;) And of course, if you go full solar, most localities and power companies offer many kickbacks if you do decided to have the main power connected as well.

    Modulars are insanely affordable, quaint, and built well with tons of options. If placed on a pad, they gain appreciation and can have a HELOC pulled on them just like a standard home. They are also accepted in most towns/cities/counties if placed on a pad (do your homework on this), but you need to check the property's CC&R's too. These also eliminate a lot of those variables you are concerned about. You can even shop around and get quotes and pricematch. They send you a transaction breakdown of what everything costs and offer inhouse services for most things you will need. 

    I have some ideas of turning several of these into AirBnB's/Vrbos or glamping because they truly cut away all of the BS of any other type of residential/vacation style building when it comes to development. 

    Do your research, cross your t's and dot the i's and go for it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.