"Duplex Hacking? " - Deal Structure w/ Partner living on one side

"Duplex Hacking? " - Deal Structure w/ Partner living on one side

Mike AndersonPro Member
New to Real Estate · Cape Girardeau, MO · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All, 

I currently have one Duplex and I would like to buy another. Most lenders are asking for 20-25% as I am not able to move into one side myself. I have a potential partner that would like to get into Real estate but does not have much money saved. We discussed a deal of using their credit to secure the loan (10% down) but I would front all the money. Thought is we would have an LLC with an arrangement of the ownership of the property would be mine since I am fronting all the money. They would get the benefit of only paying about $500 to cover the rest of the mortgage that isn't covered by the other side of the duplex. (Net they this would be like them renting a $1000/month apt like they are currently doing and then getting $500 in cashflow. This would net me $0 in Cashflow for me for the first couple years but would be gaining the equity and in 2 years start renting it out and cash flowing about $500/month and then maybe repeat. (so kind of house hacking but with a partner). Curious if anyone has any experience with this type of partnership? Also curious on when you go to get the next mortgage in the partner's name how would that work? I am assuming the Bank sees that the mortgage is in their name and would not go for a second primary residence with the other loan having been secured previously as a primary....maybe I just need to understand house hacking more since it is more less what we would be doing I guess.... Thoughts? Thanks for the input.

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Seems creative, but maybe a little messy. Is this a two year agreement with your partner that they would be moving out after two years? Otherwise it seems like you could be stuck with them living there for longer and having a $0 cash flow for longer than you'd like. Do you have an arrangement lined up for maintenance and repairs? 

  • Mike AndersonPro Member
    OP
    New to Real Estate · Cape Girardeau, MO · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the reply. Our thought is we would write 2 yrs into the contract and then repeat. We are also looking at a newer construction so lower maintenance costs and hey would be paying a small amount over the mortgage to cover the maintenance there is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.