advice on 20unit complex

advice on 20unit complex

Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys,

Me and some friends found someone that wants to offload a 20 unit complex off market and just wanted to see what questions do you guys ask for a deal this size? Also I know that everyone has different cap rates they want but what would make this a good deal going forward?

Here are some questions i'll ask:
1.Why is the Owner Selling?
3.When was the last time mechanicals were updated?
4.Can the owner provide two years Schedule E's?
5.Can he provide a current rent roll and income expense statement?

Our pro-forma shows around 24K net cash flow before taxes and 9.1 cap rate. Units are 2/1 around ~820 sqft on average and owner says rents are $650. We are assuming 10% vacancy and $600 rents till we can actually see the rent roll and also including is a reserve for large capital(roof/painting/paving).

With these types of units that are for lower income people do you think 10% vacancy is to high/low? They have put around $150K in rehab to the property in the last two years and from my understanding he is tired of managing the property since he lives a county away. Market rents in the area are a little higher so we are hoping to raise them to around 700-750 with a little work which would put the cap rate closer to 11% for us.

I haven't talked to the seller but from the 3rd party that is introducing us he said he is willing to take a sellers note. Are you seeing banks loan 75 or 80% of the purchase price? I already got word from a banker I could get 65% financed through bank. So if you were seller would you take a 20-25% note? Or is that over the normal range?

Thanks guys any input at all would be appreicated.

0Reply
17 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 16 votes
    13y

    Joseph L. if you're planning on raising rent by 13% with next to no improvements, your 10% vacancy is about to skyrocket....

    And depending on your location, an increase by that amount may be prohibited. So check that out as well.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Sorry for the confusion didnt mean right away across the board. From my understanding he has started to rehab some units already. So we are planning on 5-10k initial upfront on the landscaping/lights and outside improvements just to get the physical outside area up to par with other complex in the area. Then when we have turnover to raise rents with newer tennants in the newer rehabbed units.

    What are some generally rules to go by how much to invest in each unit do u guys go by? Say I put in 2k to upgrade unit what should be my payback period to know how much to raise rents monthly?

  • SFR Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 16 votes
    13y

    Calculating ROI from rehab is much easier than building a full pro-forma (which should include your taxes, as those are regular and repeating expenses). If you're looking for a 25% ROI on the rehab of any given unit, putting in $2000, you're looking for an extra $500/yr. So the math is...

    original income = $650 * 12mo = $7800/yr
    rehab income = $500/yr
    target income = $7800 + $500 = $8300/yr = $692 * 12mo

    In summary, a 25% ROI comes from a $42 or 6.5% rent increase.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    20 units is small and not as scalable.

    Is this 20 unit surrounding by other buildings on the street or is this all self enclosed??

    Doesn't matter what you do to the building if the area is really bad or other investors do not keep up their properties. (trust me).

    I think you are being too optimistic on the numbers. I want to get a great deal going in and the other projections are icing on the cake if they happen. If they do not happen or I only do half as well as I thought I am coming out great. If I only do as well as the numbers were going in and I hit the number I wanted then I am still doing well.

  • Hard Money Lender · Sea Girt, NJ · Member since 2012 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    13y

    I think the highest LTV you are going to get right now would be about 70%. Also, in my area (central/south Jersey & Philly) 10% is a little high.

  • Real Estate Broker · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2012 · 58 posts · 30 votes
    13y

    I'm under contract right now for a 32 unit. I have been talking to a couple of local banks and a couple of mortgage brokers. Both of the local banks have offered 80% LTV. One of the mortgage broker is saying the best he can do is 75% but he is hesitant about even being able to do the loan because it is in a C area. Said he thinks the banks might be scarred off when they see the area.

    The other mortgage broker works alongside the listing broker. The listing broker has been pushing me to use this guy. Originally he said the best he could do was 75% LTV but after I told him I had two local banks offering 80% he said he could get me 80%. Friday he called me saying he has a bank lined up. They lend in this neighborhood all the time so that shouldn't be a problem. Offering me 4.75% on a 25 year amortization. 5 year fixed with a term length of 10. I would prefer a longer fixed and don't really like the idea of a ballon at the end, but the local banks are offering me 5.5% on a 15-20 year amortization for 7 years fixed. Figure it will be worth the lower interest rate and longer amortization.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Yes banks will offer 5 years fixed all day long and they are junk loans to me.

    5 years is not enough time to pay down the loan to curb loan rate reset shock. 7 to 10 years for commercial is optimal. I also count the 7 or 10 years where it's fixed for five years as a five year loan. If the rate isn't locked for 7 to 10 years then I do not count it for that length of time.

    You will also have to factor in resale costs or refi costs or diminished returns from taking on a cash partner to retire the debt when it comes due.

    From my experience really small local banks will look at problem properties or problem areas to possibly give a loan. The downside is it's usually for 5 years and the amort. is short. The national banks want trophy properties so usually are not a good fit although they typically offer the best terms going in.

    The regional banks I have found to be the sweet spot as they will go 7 years to 10 and will give better amort. and rates. I have had small banks tell me they just can't compete with the regional and national banks for rates and terms. What they can do is lend out on local properties that the other banks might not touch and also will ease qualification requirements on borrowers some.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.