Submetering electric for an ADU in California

Submetering electric for an ADU in California

Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes

Hi all! I have a SFH with a 2 bedroom downstairs ADU unit. Only one meter. I looked into installing a second meter and it could cost thousands! Id love to be able to separately bill tenant instead of doing utilities all included.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a company to submeter electric that I can check remotely, IE with my smart phone? Thanks!

0Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@Sarah Wagner PG&E is if you want them to keep track of all the billing and whatnot I'm assuming which if it only costs $1500 may be worth it, the options I was referring to are if you or a PM is going to keep track and bill the tenant accordingly.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    There are all kinds that cost like $300 with a margin of error neurio etc.  However depending on how the electric is set up it may or may not work.  Even in a worst case scenario it should not cost thousands, get more quotes or wait until the pandemic is over then get more quotes.

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

    There are all kinds that cost like $300 with a margin of error neurio etc.  However depending on how the electric is set up it may or may not work.  Even in a worst case scenario it should not cost thousands, get more quotes or wait until the pandemic is over then get more quotes.

    The quote I recieved directly from PG&E to install 2nd meter is: 

    low end $1500-500 

    highend $5-10,000

    im still going to schedule someone to come out from PG&E and give me a bid. But im looking into alternatives just in case they do quote an exorbitant amount. 

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Sarah Wagner PG&E is if you want them to keep track of all the billing and whatnot I'm assuming which if it only costs $1500 may be worth it, the options I was referring to are if you or a PM is going to keep track and bill the tenant accordingly.

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

    @Sarah Wagner PG&E is if you want them to keep track of all the billing and whatnot I'm assuming which if it only costs $1500 may be worth it, the options I was referring to are if you or a PM is going to keep track and bill the tenant accordingly.

    Yes, I would be keeping track of the submeter and billing the tenant. Thats why im asking for a recommendation of a great wifi submeter. Still hoping when I have PGE out, the $1500 scenario is the one we get. So much less of a hassle that way! 

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Hi @Sarah Wagner I am in a similar situation as you. What did you decide to do? Did you ever find a good wifi submeter option?

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 145 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    I just installed this sub-meter system (gas-water-elec) for my detached garage conversion ADU; pretty slick.

    EKM Metering - Next Level Metering Solutions

    https://www.ekmmetering.com/shop

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.