Vacating specific units prior/on sale

Vacating specific units prior/on sale

Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes

Hello, I am currently working on an offer on a 8 plex.  I posted up some numbers here a few weeks back.  This has the ability to be an awesome deal, and a possible catalyst into more deals.  One of the units is currently vacant and being remodeled, which we would hope stays vacant so we can fill it with an increased rent.  Here is the issue, one of the other units have been filled with the same tenants since it was built 11 years ago.  They have had bedbugs in the past, and apparently they are heating the apartment with propane heaters.  Then when their bottle goes empty, it appears they promptly chuck it out in the side lot.  I didn't go inside this apartment, but I can tell from the outside it is going to be horrible.  Should we put in the offer that we want that unit vacated?  The current owner stated that they will be there until they die.  It's pretty obvious he hasn't stepped inside in years.  If they still occupy said unit, we would have to probably evict them as soon as legally possible.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ryan

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NorCal · Member since 2018 · 399 posts · 222 votes
    7y

    You can require the unit be vacant at close. Hadn't your inspection report shown the unit condition? if not, you'd better get the inspection done. You may be going back to the seller for repair credits or price reduction.

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    7y

    @David De Luna

    I am still planning on getting inside the unit. This is a family friend so I am trying to tread lightly, as well as keep myself covered.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    I would check local fire safety ordinances the tenant may be putting the rest of the building in danger and breaking fire codes using unvented propane heaters in an apartment building. All the best!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.