Partnering with the seller

Partnering with the seller

Real Estate Agent · Arlington · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 100 votes

Hi everyone - I would value any helpful input on this scenario:

I've recently utilized an approach set forth by Ali Boone in her article, "How to Best Structure a Partnership for Investing in Rental Properties". She mentions a partnership setup where a partner puts forth the required down payment. The other partner involved (who does not have the capital to provide) assumes the proper management of the property. In return for the capital contribution, the partner is given ~30% off the top of the Net Income. After that the partners split remaining Net Income 50/50.

I've presented this to a variety of sellers (more accurately their brokers) and it has been met with much interest. I have offered the seller the position as a passive partner - the property being held within an LLC or within a GP/LP relationship. My intent is to have them sell the property to the business entity (ie, me and the seller) and for the seller to provide the down payment needed from the proceeds of the original sale.

Can anyone give insight as to how to pitch this to lenders? How does closing work for a scenario like this? Would I have better luck working with the seller's bank that holds the current mortgage (ie, they know the property and seller)?

Thank you!

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Souderton, PA · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 414 votes
    9y
    I'm doing a similar deal right now. Why transfer the property at all? We are saving a boat load of fees by not transferring title only to transfer title again. Although as I type this you mentioned holding as a rental, so it might be different. In that case I'm not sure it matters if the bank "knows the seller", its most likely going to have to be a commercial loan if it's an LLC. With that said, why do you need financing, to purchase? Maybe not transferring the deed at all is the answer. Are you going to renovate to add value? You could renovate then have the seller refinance and put it into an LLC at that point. Iv had sellers do that in the past. Best of luck. I searched "partnering with seller" because like I said I'm doing it on a flip right now and it almost seems too good to be true. It's win- win and there's very little if no risk on anyone for a number of reasons, one being saving 10-15k on closing costs for the first transfer. Best of luck. Would be curious to see how you make it work.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.