What's holding you back from buying large apartments?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
9y

I would say nothing should. If not educated, get educated. You could get a coach for that.  With that, you could find deals and wholesale it or negotiate to be part of the GP syndication team. Lacking experience, go pull together team members with experience. Lacking capital, I raise capital part time for a syndication team that needs money. I leverage their experience, good mkt, good deal, and simply educate accredited investors to invest in it. I get part of the GP by marketing the deal. Be creative, don't take the easy way out behind no money, experience, time, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way. More than happy to share ideas with anyone on this topic. 

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hvac · North Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    Money. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    Capital. That's it. I'm aiming to get four 2-4 unit buildings here in Chicago and then hopefully leverage those into an apartment complex here of at least 18 units. At that point, I hope to go into real estate fulltime.

  • Real Estate Agent · Naperville, IL · Member since 2013 · 402 posts · 177 votes
    9y

    Money and experience..... Need more of both!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 33 votes
    9y
    Nothing really, I have been doing good on smaller multi units. 2-4 units. Love them as I can pick them up pretty cheap and the cashflow is good.
  • Pittsburg, CA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    im with sam on this.. I like the diversified look of smaller multis.  May do some larger multis in the future if I find something that makes my gears turn.

  • Investor · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Money and experience, yes. Finding deals, too.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Finding good deals in Chicago. I am looking for 3-4 units on the north side and I have seen that most of the properties I look at are not great deals unless they are purchased for $200,000 below list price.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Lack of desire to invest in that vehicle.

    It is similar to asking a flipper why he does not buy and hold. It is not their preferred business plan.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I would say nothing should. If not educated, get educated. You could get a coach for that.  With that, you could find deals and wholesale it or negotiate to be part of the GP syndication team. Lacking experience, go pull together team members with experience. Lacking capital, I raise capital part time for a syndication team that needs money. I leverage their experience, good mkt, good deal, and simply educate accredited investors to invest in it. I get part of the GP by marketing the deal. Be creative, don't take the easy way out behind no money, experience, time, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way. More than happy to share ideas with anyone on this topic. 

  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    9y

    I'm good syndicating deals up to $20MM in total cap. Although the numbers rarely pencil, deal flow is fairly steady and I get invited to B&F nearly 100% of the time.

    Most deals were lost on price or some combination of price, terms and experience (lots of buyers out there with a thousand doors under their belt).

    Unlike aggregating a few balance sheets for the debt -- which can get messy during offering -- the ability to have leveraged a single deep pocket balance sheet up front would have turned a handful of those deals my way.

    How deep? >= $20MM NW with $6MM+ liquidity would be optimum.  Even 10 with 2 or 3 would do it.

  • Investor · Takoma Park, MD · Member since 2016 · 166 posts · 147 votes
    9y

    Math. Math is keeping me from buying large apartments right now. Commercial stuff is just too expensive right now relative to what it generates. When interest rates rise back up and institutional money starts chasing returns somewhere else, then the math might start to look better. Not saying you can't find a deal, but it takes a LOT of legwork at a time when there are still lots of compelling options in the SFR and small multii space.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris Tracy good question and I imagine you will receive many responses.  For me it is having a solid lending institution that is national as I don't invest in my backyard.  Additionally, what concerns me most is the holding cost for large apartment buildings.  In my market and with the 1-4 units I invest in, typical holding(Fixed) costs are less than $175 per month for multi-family units.  I spend more than that on coffee per month! LOL.  So that's my hangup.  Always remember to persist and you will WIN!!!!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Not just money, but dumb money, and lots of it flowing into this asset class right now. This tells me that great deals are likely on the horizon shortly ...

  • Adrian StamerPro Member
    Real Estate Investor & Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    9y

    Availability of deals with numbers that make sense. Plenty of capital chasing large multi families though so I understand the shortage. 

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Two things:

    1. Sellers who want to sell on pie-in-the-sky proforma instead of their actual NOI less deferred maintenance.

    2. Competition that is willing to accommodate those sellers.

    Case to the point - I underwrote a particular property to $10M and so did two smart competitors. However, the seller wanted  $13M and none of the smart competitors including myself did even bother to submit an offer. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nick B.:

    Two things:

    1. Sellers who want to sell on pie-in-the-sky proforma instead of their actual NOI less deferred maintenance.

    2. Competition that is willing to accommodate those sellers.

    Case to the point - I underwrote a particular property to $10M and so did two smart competitors. However, the seller wanted  $13M and none of the smart competitors including myself did even bother to submit an offer. 

    The real question is: What did it sell for? Assuming you and your smart competitors are realistic and intelligent investors that did their underwriting properly (which I assume is true), then if it didn't sell or sold for around $10M, then the seller was crazy ... if it sold at ask for $13M, then the market is crazy ...

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I don't know yet what it sold for as the offers were due yesterday. The lowest offer they had according to the broker was $11M.

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Faulkner:
    Originally posted by @Nick B.:

    Two things:

    1. Sellers who want to sell on pie-in-the-sky proforma instead of their actual NOI less deferred maintenance.

    2. Competition that is willing to accommodate those sellers.

    Case to the point - I underwrote a particular property to $10M and so did two smart competitors. However, the seller wanted  $13M and none of the smart competitors including myself did even bother to submit an offer. 

    The real question is: What did it sell for? Assuming you and your smart competitors are realistic and intelligent investors that did their underwriting properly (which I assume is true), then if it didn't sell or sold for around $10M, then the seller was crazy ... if it sold at ask for $13M, then the market is crazy ...

     The market. Definitely the market!

    At least in DFW...

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Daniel O.:

    Math. Math is keeping me from buying large apartments right now. Commercial stuff is just too expensive right now relative to what it generates. When interest rates rise back up and institutional money starts chasing returns somewhere else, then the math might start to look better. Not saying you can't find a deal, but it takes a LOT of legwork at a time when there are still lots of compelling options in the SFR and small multii space.

     Interesting. Here in Texas I feel exactly the opposite. SFRs are just too much work and not a lot of returns while out MF deals generate great returns. 

    Funny how real estate can be so local...

  • Lender · Marion, IA · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    No deals.  Limited inventory and high prices.  I have never come across one that I could afford and where the numbers made sense. 

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    There are 5 major barriers to entry to get into this business...

    1. Capital

    2. Experience 

    3. Brokers (they sell to their friends who they know can close). 

    4. Deals (as has been said, its hard to find deals that make sense right now). 

    5. Lenders (you have to have #1, 2 & 4 to get them onboard).   

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Thompson:

    I would say nothing should. If not educated, get educated. You could get a coach for that.  With that, you could find deals and wholesale it or negotiate to be part of the GP syndication team. Lacking experience, go pull together team members with experience. Lacking capital, I raise capital part time for a syndication team that needs money. I leverage their experience, good mkt, good deal, and simply educate accredited investors to invest in it. I get part of the GP by marketing the deal. Be creative, don't take the easy way out behind no money, experience, time, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way. More than happy to share ideas with anyone on this topic. 

    This sounds dangerously close to a violation of SEC rules with hefty consequences. It is one thing to be a syndicator and another to raise funds for and get paid by a syndicator (a SEC violation).

    What stops most people in any real state investment is almost the same across the board and ii is just one word - FEAR. I have said before and will say again, the rich act in spite of fear while others allow fear to stop them. 

    Experience, knowledge, and capital can all be overcome with the correct desire, determination, and ability to go out and get educated on the topic.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    Hey Will, can you elaborate on this? I'd love to hear a bit more about how raising the funds is a violation? If you're part of the GP how can that be true? Even if you are only part of the GP because of your ability to raise funds, I don't see how that can be true. Everyone brings something different to the GP - ability to find deals, to close deals, to execute on deals... and the ability to raise money. 

    Thanks.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Definitely have to hunt for good deals in North Texas right now. I would say that confidence in cash reserves beyond just down payment is holding me back.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    9y

    My sense is the whole Dallas market is starting to slow down.  I don't know that we are in a bubble or a recession.  But I Am fairly certain we will see and end to the massive run.

    And I am fairly certain the multi family rental prices aren't keeping up with the increase in property values.

    There are a LOT of multi families going up.

    Demographics says to me the place to be is in single Family properties.  and I am not so sure I don't want to be outside of the Dallas city limits.

    W

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.