Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shan Radhakr
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Votes |
Question re: Tax implications for Seller leaving money in the deal

Shan Radhakr
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Posted Jul 10 2024, 09:22

I wanted to ask a quick question to see anyone here has bought a property where the Seller is leaving money out of the deal's proceeds in the deal? I'm trying to figure out if the Seller will be taxed immediately on that money if they never touch it and it remains in the deal.  The Seller is not interested if there is immediate tax payment.   

If anyone has done something similar, I'd like to get some insight on how the deal was structured.  

Thank you. 

Shankar

User Stats

Votes
Livia Adams
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Replied Jul 10 2024, 09:27

Hey, could you elaborate what you mean by "leaving money out of the deal's proceeds in the deal"? Can you give me the exact situation? Thanks!

• Real Estate Agent Florida (#SL3579445)

La Rosa Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Shan Radhakr
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Replied Jul 10 2024, 09:38

Sure, @Livia Adams, let's say the purchase price is $5m. The buyer has secured a loan for $3.0m for the deal. The remaining equity needed is $2m. The buyers have $1.5m and are short by $0.5m. The Seller is interested in leaving up to $0.5m as a preferred equity/debt as long as she doesn't have to pay tax immediately on the $0.5m that she doesn't receive on closing.  How should the deal be structured to not trigger tax payment for the $0.5m that she is leaving on the deal?  This is the exact situation.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Livia Adams
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Replied Jul 10 2024, 11:46

Oh got it, thanks for the explanation.

I am not an accountant or attorney but from a  law point of view I believe that as long as the equity is bound in the property it is not realized capital gains so it won’t be taxed.

You could structure it as a deferred payment due at some point in the future making it taxable at that point. I would advice though to have the backing of an attorney on this for liability reasons.

• Real Estate Agent Florida (#SL3579445)

La Rosa Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Shan Radhakr
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Replied Jul 10 2024, 11:55

Thanks for your suggestion @Livia Adams.  

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 10 2024, 21:53
Quote from @Shan Radhakr:

Sure, @Livia Adams, let's say the purchase price is $5m. The buyer has secured a loan for $3.0m for the deal. The remaining equity needed is $2m. The buyers have $1.5m and are short by $0.5m. The Seller is interested in leaving up to $0.5m as a preferred equity/debt as long as she doesn't have to pay tax immediately on the $0.5m that she doesn't receive on closing.  How should the deal be structured to not trigger tax payment for the $0.5m that she is leaving on the deal?  This is the exact situation.  

That's called a "seller carry back" and the seller can elect to be taxed on only money received. The payments each year would be taxed for that year. Or, if it is treated as a balloon, taxes are due when balloon is paid.

User Stats

Votes
Shan Radhakr
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • SF Bay Area
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:45

Thank you @Bob P.  Have you done this kind of transaction?  If so, I'd love to have a quick chat with you.  Thank you.