How to Sell Syndication Shares at a Discount?

How to Sell Syndication Shares at a Discount?

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey Folks,

Does anyone know the process of selling syndication shares? I realize it can get complicated so I was wondering if anyone has successfully accomplished that task.


Thanks!


-Andy R

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
3y

Most times the docs will say that GP's or sponsors get the first right of refusal for any share selling. Then often times it goes out to the other LP's before you can try and sell your ownership to an outside party. This is the way I do my deals and how I see most other people do it as well, so I would check your deal documents first. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Andres Rodriguez

    Typically the syndication will not allow it and you need their permission especially if it’s a reg d, as if not they only have your paperwork so buyer will never get the money returned

    If it’s pre approved by sponsor - depending on how the deal is going expect to take a significant haircut of 20-30%

    I would first ask sponsor if you have a hardship and can get a return of capital

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y

    Most times the docs will say that GP's or sponsors get the first right of refusal for any share selling. Then often times it goes out to the other LP's before you can try and sell your ownership to an outside party. This is the way I do my deals and how I see most other people do it as well, so I would check your deal documents first. 

  • Involved In Real Estate · Keller, TX · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    This came up recently and I agree with the others on this. For sure read the operating agreement but its typically first right for GPs, then LPs, then 3rd party. 

    If you elect to sell 3rd party you might have them sign an NDA before sharing financials with them as well as the current business plan so they can determine their offer based on their projected yield. 

    The discount will depend on how many buyers you present it to and how well the deal is doing. 

    I have a colleague out of CA who has expressed interest in purchasing shares on one of our deals so I know there is a secondary market for shares of private equity. 

    A buyer may want to review operating documents, know about the management team, investor reporting structure, and asset performance, etc... Have an attorney put something in writing and help you handle the exchange. I would sell to someone sophisticated and avoid giving them any sort of valuation and let them come to their own conclusion.

    Hope this helps!


  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thank you Brandon, Brett, and Chris!

    I knew the general stipulations but it is super helpful to get more color.

    I invested in a few of the more well known syndication shops and I don't really have anything negative to say. I am trying to get a start up off the ground and simply want to be more liquid so that's the motivation.

    My plan is to check in with the GPs first and see if there is any interest in purchasing at a discount or if I forgo any accrued distributions.

    -AR

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.