Why I Choose to Invest in Multifamily Syndications

Why I Choose to Invest in Multifamily Syndications

Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes

Like many investors, I initially chose to invest in multifamily because I was investing in single family homes, and I wanted to grow my portfolio faster than that asset class would allow. What I didn’t know was that multifamily investing offers many more benefits than just scaling fast. We’ll dig into some of my favorite benefits about multifamily below.

Risk Adjusted Returns

Multifamily investing provides excellent returns compared to many of the other asset classes available. The value-add business plan allows operators to purchase distressed or tired assets, fix up the exteriors to drive immediately value, and then fix up the interiors of the units to drive up rents resulting in higher net operating income and investor returns. Once those items are completed, good operators will continue to add value through many different strategies. One of the operators I work with shared that by simply painting a number on 100 parking spots and charging a reserved parking fee, he was able to raise the value of the asset by $1.5MM. You simply do not have as many ways like this to drive value in other asset classes.

Tax Benefits

Everyone knows that there are great tax benefits to investing in real estate, but I would encourage you to talk with your CPA to get all the details on exactly how beneficial investing in multifamily can be for your specific situation. You’ll want to get a good understanding of accelerated depreciation, cost segregation, and passive losses to have a full understanding of how this will impact you come tax season. At the end of the day, it’s not how much you earn, it’s how much you get to keep that drives your quality of life. Taxes are the single largest expense you likely have in your personal finances if you are not already investing in real estate.

A Plethora of Options to Choose From

There are over 21MM apartment homes in the US, and many of those are owned and operated by groups that provide investment opportunities to investors like you and me. With a little research, it’s not too hard to find 5-10 operators in this space that have or will soon have investment opportunities available. In addition, decreasing cap rates and increases in apartment values has created a surge of new operators to the space, so be careful to ask about experience when you schedule your first call with these groups.

As you spend more time researching multifamily investments, you’ll find several other great benefits of investing in this space. These are just a few of the reasons that top my list. I encourage you to continue your research, talk with other real estate investors, and dig in and look at some actual opportunities. I’m convinced you’ll see what I’ve seen in multifamily, or you’ll find another great place to put your capital. Either way, you win!

7Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y

Curious how long have you been investing in Multi-family? 

While multi-family has been great the past 7 years, prior to that it was not so great and right now I am seeing a lot of GP's doing capital calls and extending investment periods. 

I am not against MF, as I invest in it as well, but I would say 9 out of 10 deals I look at now are poorly underwritten and extremely risky.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    Curious how long have you been investing in Multi-family? 

    While multi-family has been great the past 7 years, prior to that it was not so great and right now I am seeing a lot of GP's doing capital calls and extending investment periods. 

    I am not against MF, as I invest in it as well, but I would say 9 out of 10 deals I look at now are poorly underwritten and extremely risky.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    This post is weird.

    The title of the post mentions 'Why I choose to invest in Multifamily Syndications' but the body of the post talks about Multi-Family > Single Family.

  • Jeff CuaPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    Thanks for posting this Randy! I am focusing my time in energy right now in sydicating small multifamily apartments (15-30 units). Getting more confident everyday as I just started analyzing deals and calling brokers. Please let me know if you would like to connect over a call or zoom. Im aways looking for opportunities to learn more directly from others that have achieved success in apartments!

  • Simmy AhluwaliaPro Member
    Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 200 votes
    3y

    All very valid and good points to invest in, not just MF assets, but other core assets as well.  I'm also an LP.  However, the main point that you forgot to mention (especially for newbies), is that your $50/$100k, etc....is tied up for 3, 5, 10 years.  Unless a Refi is conducted, your initial principal is tied up until sale of the property.

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Chris Seveney. I’ve been investing in multi family for about two years and researched for about one year prior to that. I would agree with you that most deals today don’t work, but I think we are about to see some really great opportunities due to the shift in rates combined with so many that didn’t get rate caps or hold strong reserves. 

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Basit Siddiqi. Good catch. I’ll admit, my copy editing could use some work. Multifamily/Multi-family. What’s your vote?

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Simmy Ahluwalia. Great point Simmy. Some will argue the hold period is actually positive as many investors mistakenly shift when things get tough. I personally like to hold a portion of my money in long term holds (5 yr or more), and a portion in shorter term holds. I’ve heard of many investors shifting over to notes or hard money lately to decrease hold periods but still make some money while waiting for the tides to turn with rates. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I’m still trying to figure out the goal of that post. Are you trying to find people that wants to lend money to a Syndication you’re a part of? 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Randy Smith

    I guess.  If I were offered a higher return in MF over SF with less control... I'm going with the lower return and greater control of SF.

    But eventually I would like to diversify.  I just don't have any interest in tying up a bunch of capital for a long period of time.

  • Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 81 votes
    3y

    100% agree but its all about Cash Flow and your time.

    Going from SFR to small multifamily is one step. Scaling into large Multifamily is another. Large MF is done via a Syndication and you are on the General Partner side or the Limited Partner side (Passive Investor). Unless you plan to operate or run the deal with your name on the note than the Passive Side is a great place to start.

    Passive side LP enables investors to free up time investing with others.

    It also allows you to leverage the expertise of the operator and access their markets.

    There is no right or wrong both SFR and MFR can be profitable. But you have to consider what your time is worth, and diversifying into other assets in other markets might be a smart play in 2023.

  • Accountant · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    Good points!

    These deals provide access to expertise and resources that may not be available to individual investors, including access to experienced local markets and specialities.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Jeff Cua.  Congrats on starting the journey, I am looking to do the same thing currently.  I've been an agent for 7 years and have been flipping for a few years here in Denver, but out of state MF is where I will be focusing my future efforts.  All the best to you in the future, maybe we can connect down the road.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 16 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jordan Sherrill:

    @Jeff Cua.  Congrats on starting the journey, I am looking to do the same thing currently.  I've been an agent for 7 years and have been flipping for a few years here in Denver, but out of state MF is where I will be focusing my future efforts.  All the best to you in the future, maybe we can connect down the road.  


  • Rental Property Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Great points on MF Investing.

    I heard from one of the gurus that there was significant underbuilding (50% less builds) in the last 10 years compared to the previous decades. We all know the reason for this is 2008 recession. Finally demand caught up to it and we are still shortage of homes and rents are increasing. To add to this, Covid made things worse. People moved to different states . Rents/ home values skyrocketed. 


    Iam also looking into MF investing out of state. let me know if anyone is interested in connecting. 

  • Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Randy Smith:

    Like many investors, I initially chose to invest in multifamily because I was investing in single family homes, and I wanted to grow my portfolio faster than that asset class would allow. What I didn’t know was that multifamily investing offers many more benefits than just scaling fast. We’ll dig into some of my favorite benefits about multifamily below.

    Risk Adjusted Returns

    Multifamily investing provides excellent returns compared to many of the other asset classes available. The value-add business plan allows operators to purchase distressed or tired assets, fix up the exteriors to drive immediately value, and then fix up the interiors of the units to drive up rents resulting in higher net operating income and investor returns. Once those items are completed, good operators will continue to add value through many different strategies. One of the operators I work with shared that by simply painting a number on 100 parking spots and charging a reserved parking fee, he was able to raise the value of the asset by $1.5MM. You simply do not have as many ways like this to drive value in other asset classes.

    Tax Benefits

    Everyone knows that there are great tax benefits to investing in real estate, but I would encourage you to talk with your CPA to get all the details on exactly how beneficial investing in multifamily can be for your specific situation. You’ll want to get a good understanding of accelerated depreciation, cost segregation, and passive losses to have a full understanding of how this will impact you come tax season. At the end of the day, it’s not how much you earn, it’s how much you get to keep that drives your quality of life. Taxes are the single largest expense you likely have in your personal finances if you are not already investing in real estate.

    A Plethora of Options to Choose From

    There are over 21MM apartment homes in the US, and many of those are owned and operated by groups that provide investment opportunities to investors like you and me. With a little research, it’s not too hard to find 5-10 operators in this space that have or will soon have investment opportunities available. In addition, decreasing cap rates and increases in apartment values has created a surge of new operators to the space, so be careful to ask about experience when you schedule your first call with these groups.

    As you spend more time researching multifamily investments, you’ll find several other great benefits of investing in this space. These are just a few of the reasons that top my list. I encourage you to continue your research, talk with other real estate investors, and dig in and look at some actual opportunities. I’m convinced you’ll see what I’ve seen in multifamily, or you’ll find another great place to put your capital. Either way, you win!


    Thanks for the post! A small portfolio LTR/STR investor here looking to get started with MF. Will be reaching out to y'all pros here as I educate myself with the basics of MF investing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.