Found a great deal but need more $ for the down payment

Found a great deal but need more $ for the down payment

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey BP Family:

Hope this message finds you well.

I recently came across 8 unit apartment building that seems to be a fantastic deal. Numbers being $525k for the purchase and 150k down which based on the numbers would generate around $3200 a month in cash flow. In my opinion, there seems to be opportunity to raise the rents as well and to increase the NOI through reducing some of the operating expenses and adding more revenue streams The problem is I am short 30k to 40k in order to get the all the $ necessary to cover the down payment and I am not sure of where I can get the additional money I need from.

I currently own 6 SFH and have equity in the properties but most lenders that I am aware of won't do a second/Heloc option on it.

This would be my first “commercial” deal so I am a little nervous to be honest.

I am open to partnering on this opportunity but I don’t personally know of anyway that has the resources as my social circle is fairly small.

Any thoughts on what I could do to take this deal down?

Any help,advice or guidance would be very very appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

Congratulations on your first BiggerPockets post!

Is the owner willing to do Seller Financing? You could put $100,000 down, enabling him to do what he wants with the money. Then he gets steady payments for the next 3-5 years, then another big payment at the end when you refinance. There are some great benefits for the owner.

You could also ask to put it under a longer contract, say six months, so you have time to round up the remaining money for the deposit.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations on your first BiggerPockets post!

    Is the owner willing to do Seller Financing? You could put $100,000 down, enabling him to do what he wants with the money. Then he gets steady payments for the next 3-5 years, then another big payment at the end when you refinance. There are some great benefits for the owner.

    You could also ask to put it under a longer contract, say six months, so you have time to round up the remaining money for the deposit.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I forgot to mention networking! You should consider joining an investor's group in your area. Build relationships, find people to partner with. Or you could always wholesale this deal to another investor, make some fast cash, and use it on the next investment.

    Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Do you have a line of credit you can tap into? Nathan has some good ideas.  Do you have enough equity in one of your other properties to refinance that one (pick one with a higher interest rate).

    Why do you need $150K down for a $525K?

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.