Trying to buy a short sale - Trouble!

Trying to buy a short sale - Trouble!

Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Recently my fiancé and I found a house that we fell in love with and after having the opportunity to view the house we found out that it is a short sale. The current debt outstanding on the house is 365K and is held by two different banks. The first bank holds 330k and the second bank holds 35k. We made an offer and the sellers accepted our offer of 335K but the banks will not come to an agreement on how to break up the amount we are offering to cover their debts.

I understand that the first bank has collection rights and the second bank only can recoup what is left. What the first bank is telling us is that they are going to take the full amount of the debt owed to them and leave only 5K for the second debt holder. Because of this, the second debt holder will not sign off and is willing to take this to foreclosure. I guess the second bank would keep a lien on the house.

The sellers' attorney is having a difficult time with the banks and doesn't think that he can bring the two banks to an agreement.

Can anyone tell me what the normal process is? Should we get our own attorney (I mean one who specializes in short sales)? We want to get this house before it goes to auction as we think it is great value at the 335K number. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2008 · 31 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    You neglect to mention the confirmed, as-is, fair market value of the home. If the second lienholder's information supports a high value, say in the $365,000 range, it won't easily accept much less than it is due..
    Perhaps the second lender thinks $335,000 is too great a deal for you.

    So, what is the property worth?

  • Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    If you use Zillow, and I understand the validity of their information, the value of the house is 334K. I would say that the vaule of the house is probably between 340k to 350k. With all of that being said, we are not that far off from the "real" value.

    How long from now will it be before the house is actually in foreclosure? weeks? months?

  • Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    According to their realtor, the house sat on the market at 375k for roughly 4 months with no offers. The price was then adjusted to 350K and sat there for 2 months before our offer of 335K. I think there were a few low ball offers that came in, but nothing the sellers wanted to take seriously.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    19y

    The agent should handle most of the transaction if the property is currently listed.

    I would suggest that you obtain representation from an agent to oversee your side of the transaction if it's co-operative.

    It should be fairly easy, cut and dry.....the lien holders will take your price or not. If not, then what price will they take? and go from there.

    I believe there's lot's of money to be earned by those that work to learn the short sale process. I'm not a pro....only have done a few of them in the past but, I've seen properties go at unbelievable prices thru the short sale process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.