Rental Property Investor · Freeport, NY · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
I'm having a hard time figuring out how THOROUGHLY research a property in terms of any kind of liens that can possibly be on it. This is specifically for Nassau County, New York. The county website is difficult to navigate in my opinion. Can anyone out there shed some light on the process?
Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
The only way to THOROUGHLY do the research on a property is to go to to your county clerk's office and do the actual document digging yourself, or better, hire an abstract company to research the title. Other than that, see the disclosure on the county's website:
"Online information may be partial and does not take the place of a search of actual documents. Please refer to the microfilm, fiche, and image library for other document specific information. In addition, sealed or expunged records may not be disclosed."
Rental Property Investor · Freeport, NY · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
7y
Thank you @Marc Winter. I was hoping it could be done online but I suppose it's time to get acquainted with the county clerk's office. Practice makes perfect.
Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 956 votes
7y
@Francene Iaizzo, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for distressed sellers, or looking for problems before making an offer on a property?
Nassau County, NY · Member since 2011 · 52 posts · 14 votes
7y
Francene,
Typically you will have to fill out a FOIL form. Depending on the municipality it will take some time unless you get to know someone.
I would also check the tax receiver and housing.
Of course, putting an offer in subject too - would give you the time and eliminate the headache. At that point, the title company will provide all the necessary documents.
Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Francene Iaizzo, since this is pre-contract, you might consider having the standard language making the closing subject to clear title. If it's a good opportunity, you might want to get it into contract asap and all subject to your due diligence. Just a thought.
Rental Property Investor · Freeport, NY · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
7y
@Craig Schneider I should have explained myself better. I want to buy a property at auction so there's no time. I have to see what's coming up on the calendar and be prepared when the bidding starts. Thank You!
Rental Property Investor · Freeport, NY · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
7y
@Marc Winter I should have made it clear that I want to buy a property at auction! That's why I have to know as much as possible before I start that bidding. Thank you!