I live in Baton Rouge, LA and I am looking for lis pendens or notices of default so I can mail information to households that are going into foreclosure. I have been down to my courthouse and city hall and asked several people where I can find these notices. I have had several people tell me that I need to know the persons name to look up that information in the records.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose? How am I supposed to know the persons name, what the address is, or who is in foreclosure if I need that information to look up lis pendens or notices of deafult?
Any suggestions? If not, does anyone use something like foreclosure.com to get up to date filings? If so, how much does that cost?
Real Estate Investor · Outer Banks, NC · Member since 2009 · 121 posts · 44 votes
15y
County Clerks office. Keep asking. You will find that no one in the office knows what the hell Lis Pendens is. Ask where where they keep the files for all the pending cases specifically "notice of substitute trustee". Also a tip, look in your local paper at the foreclosure listings at the bottom you will find the law office handling the case often times they will have a web site that they list all the pending cases they are handling. Hope this helps
Real Estate Investor · Jersey City, Select a State · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 2 votes
15y
Also, westlaw should have that information, separated by notices of LPs and NODs. Issues there, the formula is frustrating to use and sometimes these counties do not update their stuff immediately. But it should definitely provide listings.
Thanks for the replies. I went onto the clerk of court website here and was able to find a lot of Notice of Seizure filings. On each of these documents it stated that the house was seized and going to auction about two months from this point.
Is this the same thing as notice of substitute trustee? If not what is the difference?
Also from the notice of seizure filings, is 2 months enough time to contact the home owner and then contact the bank and get a delay or cancellation of the foreclosure before auction?
Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 0 votes
15y
I don't know about Louisiana but in AZ you can get them FREE from the title companies. In Illinois, there were 3 private companies who sold the lists at reasonable fees. Go to your county courthouse and it's public record if you have the time or the clerks know where you can get the info locally. What you really want is a list of 30 day past due. Once they go to default, you have tons of competition from other investors and it's more expensive with bank and legal fees.
Real Estate Investor · Outer Banks, NC · Member since 2009 · 121 posts · 44 votes
15y
They are not the same. Notice of substitute trustee is the document recorded when the bank hires an attorney to start the foreclosure process. (in NC that is) I do not del in other states but would think it would be the same.
2 months is enough time to contact seller, get house under contract and submit package to the bank and request a "stay" or postponement. Now whether the banks allows it, is a hole nother ball of wax. It has been my experience that they will, especially if its the first request. Last thing they want is another house.