How does FNMA price the homes they sell???

How does FNMA price the homes they sell???

Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hi there, I posted this elsewhere, but I see that in this forum people have more experience with REO purchases. I am looking at a FNMA owned home, and may put an offer for it. Problem is, I am not sure what they expect. They are asking $180k , and has been sitting there for 2months, as comparables sell for half that. A little research shows FNMA purchased this home for $20k from the previous owner just three months ago. FNMA offers Homepath financig for this home, and I heard that inflates price somewhat, but I think 2x is ridiculous!
Sooo, my first thought would be to offer something near comparables, say $70-80k. More agressively, I could offer a premium over the $20k they put on this home. No way I am going anywhere close their asking.
My questions:
- why would they ask so much more over comparables and over what they paid for the home? Could it be that the recorded purchase price reflects debt forgiven to the seller? Maybe they paid a contractor to fix up the place after they purchased it?
- how do you think FNMA will react towards the more agressive offer?
If it makes difference, this would be owner-occupied
Thanks

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y

My guess is that the amount owned to FNMA on this property was well above $20K and the high list price is their way to try to recoup as much of their lost investment as possible (that coupled with a BPO that probably came in high if your comps are accurate).

In my experience, it's very, very, very unlikely that FNMA would ever accept less than 50% of the list price on an REO. More likely, they will reduce the price every couple months until they start getting offers. Now, it's quite possible that the price will come down to the $70-80K range if you wait long enough (again, if that's really where the comps are), but there is little chance you'd convince them to sell anywhere near that price while the current list price is $180K.

My suggestion would be to continue to watch the property, and when the price drops to somewhere around $110-120K, then you can start offering in the $70-80K range.

Just my $.02...

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    My guess is that the amount owned to FNMA on this property was well above $20K and the high list price is their way to try to recoup as much of their lost investment as possible (that coupled with a BPO that probably came in high if your comps are accurate).

    In my experience, it's very, very, very unlikely that FNMA would ever accept less than 50% of the list price on an REO. More likely, they will reduce the price every couple months until they start getting offers. Now, it's quite possible that the price will come down to the $70-80K range if you wait long enough (again, if that's really where the comps are), but there is little chance you'd convince them to sell anywhere near that price while the current list price is $180K.

    My suggestion would be to continue to watch the property, and when the price drops to somewhere around $110-120K, then you can start offering in the $70-80K range.

    Just my $.02...

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Can't add much to what Jason mentioned except that if the BPO missed something big and you can show a large deficency, you might get a break. You could tell them the roof fell in and if they thought no one else would notice, they could simply move along to see if a real sucker makes an offer, but if it was obvious, they will make the adjustments. While pointing out deficiences will usually get other sellers to take notice, these sellers are immune to claims arisding out of such matters, so it has to be known to all to make a difference to them, IMO.

  • Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Thanks J Scott. I think you are right. I've been following how they price homes in our area and indeed they bring them down every 2 months or so. Some they get offers, many sit there and end up in auction where (I've been to a couple) the highest bid is ~50-60% of the final asking price, 40-50% of their original asking price. Some close, others go back to market at a reduced price, and all starts again. I though that maybe, maybe, they wanted to shortcut this process.

    As I said, this is not an investment but for my own, and I may not have all the time in the world to wait. I'll go take a look to the home, and if I like it put my best and final, with the arguments above. The rest is up to them

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Are you sure your comps truly reflect prices that are less? The reason I ask is because FNMA gets multiple BPOs before listing a property. The agents who did those BPOs must have missed all the closed properties which are good comps if you feel that it's over priced.

    It's been my experience that FNMA does a decent job of pricing their properties. Even for properties that have significant damage, they take those factors into account quite well. As a result, most of their inventory sells close to asking price.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    From the agents I know that have FNMA accounts and do decent volume.

    1. Listing Agent gets assigned and they do their BPO
    2. At least one additional third party BPO is done.
    3. FNMA typically lists the property for 15-20% higher than the listing agents BPO was.
    4. They ask for a BPO every 30 days and/or every time it falls out of escrow.

    Hugh, I doubt a property would get listed for double the ARV value unless the market is extremely rural or comps are non-existent. They maybe used a different criteria than you did?

  • Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    The comps are mine (Zillow, etc). And I exagerated a bit, not quite 2x but a large gap nonetheless. I will work with a realtor to get comps, and submit them along with an offer IF we get there.

    I thank you for your comments, but let me say that I am still a bit sceptic about the precision in the pricing. No, it is not a rural area but a large city in the East Coast. See below the pricing history (from Zillow) for another FNMA home, this one now to be auctioned. The final asking was a whopping $140k (~35%) less than original.

    01/15/2011 Listing removed * - now in auction
    12/23/2010 Price change * $259,900
    12/03/2010 Price change * $269,900
    11/04/2010 Price change * $279,900
    10/01/2010 Price change * $289,900
    03/25/2010 Listing removed * $369,900
    01/23/2010 Price change * $369,900
    12/25/2009 Price change * $374,900
    08/01/2009 Listed for sale * $399,900

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Therein lies your problem.

    Have an agent pull ACTUAL comps for you. Until then, your estimating against crap data from zillow.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    The price should go down as the days on market (CDOM) goes up. FNMA wont keep paying for BPO's every 30 days will they?

    But yes definitely get a realtor to get you comps from the MLS if you dont have access. Tell that realtor to watch for price reductions on the property.

  • Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    As said, I will work with a realtor and get comps from MLS. One factor that may influence comps is that this is gentrified area, with home prices that change almost by the block. This particular home sits near the edge, but definetively on the cheaper side.
    Again, I thank you for your input. I'll be meeting with my realtor and visiting the home shortly. We'll see where this goes, and will report here whatever happened

  • Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    A follow up since my initial post: I started working with a Realtor, who got for me the comparables and the transaction history for the house in question.

    I think the most revealing info is the transaction history: one (now defunct) bank gave the previous owner a FHA HEL $50k over the current asking price. If this loan was defaulted, we get to the scenario guessed by J Scott

    The comps, on the other hand, are indeed too low to justify the asking price. Comps are about $100-120k, asking price is over $180k. Not the 2x I initially guessed, but quite a difference. As you can imagine, there is some wiggle in the comps, both ways: not all houses have the same sqft, etc.

    Now my question: as part of my d.d. I went and saw the home. And I liked it, it has some "homey" features, does require some fixes (seems that there is humitdity in a corner from the roof), but all and all a nice house that fits my needs. I would like to make an offer, but certainly keep it close to the comparables.

    Anyone here with a similar experience, how did you approached it, how did it go?

    Thanks

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Hugh Thomas:

    Now my question: as part of my d.d. I went and saw the home. And I liked it, it has some "homey" features, does require some fixes (seems that there is humitdity in a corner from the roof), but all and all a nice house that fits my needs. I would like to make an offer, but certainly keep it close to the comparables.

    Anyone here with a similar experience, how did you approached it, how did it go?

    If the house is listed at $180K, it's almost certain that the bank won't negotiate an offer below $120K.

    That said, I have would your agent call the listing agent, and let her know that she has a buyer who is interested at around $100K. Hopefully your agent can get some information from the listing agent, such as whether there is a price reduction coming, whether there are comps you don't know about, etc.

    Based on the information your agent gets, you can decide how to proceed. Most likely, your best course of action will be to wait for at least one price reduction...

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    Hugh - Are you trying to buy this as a primary residence or an investment?

    If it's an investment, rather than asking all these questions your time would be much more valuable if you just moved on to other properties.

    Trying to finds answers these questions re: FNMA is like asking why the line up at the DMV is always so long.

    Properties are available in mass. Many people in this forum are making a lot of money right now. Focus on the easy fruit to pick...

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    15y

    Depending on how aged the asset is, if you can jump in right at a price reduction you can save a ton of $$.

    I was going to blog about FNMA pricing today, I will link back here if anyone is interested. Straight from FNMA's mouth from a mandatory agent FNMA meeting last week in phoenix.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    Anson,

    Your blog link back might get "moderated" (removed) if you post it here. Better to put the link in your signature, and then let people know to look there.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Anson,

    Your blog link back might get "moderated" (removed) if you post it here. Better to put the link in your signature, and then let people know to look there.

    Ah yes, thats right. No worries, I will put in sig.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.