Eviction and the Stree community

Eviction and the Stree community

Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Hi

I recently bought a foreclosure house through court auction, applied for eviction and awaiting the hearing to take place on the 28th of June 2016. 

Background: the current unlawful occupant (an old man) informed my attorney that he bought the house through "street community" I know my thoughts where also street community what?!! Basically this is an illegal and unrecognized method to purchase a bank owned property however, by some sick scam this occupant bypassed the bank and illegally took residence of the house. 

I am being told that whenever they try to evict him, the community/neighbors back the old man and refuse that he exits. This hasn't happened to me yet by I should anticipate such, so Im being told. 

What upsets me is that he knows he will be evicted , but somehow expects sympathy from the community? And if the community backs him, what are they saying about criminals in general? That his old, he should be treated differently?  Well I refuse to accept this, a crime is a crime. 

So I will wait for the 28th to see what happens. 

But if someone has been here before, Im all ears for your advice.

*And yes I checked if there aren't any legal privileges for the elderly that will put me at a disadvantage, and found none what so ever. 

The sad thing is that I have potential buyers lined up for the house, but I haven't been able to show them the house inside. Tick, tock I want to resell this house asap, get my money and be out of that dilemma. 

0Reply
36 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Wendell, NC · Member since 2014 · 189 posts · 54 votes
    10y

    Following, i'm interested to see how this goes. Make sure to keep us updated!

  • Flipper · Poconos, PA · Member since 2015 · 198 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    Did the US Marshall's come?

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 197 votes
    10y

    Well i guess you have no choice. Go through the motions of removing the tenant, if somehow you go to court and they tell the judge that no such tenant exists then problem solved. You go into the house, change the locks, and start work or showings etc.

    If the tenant balks or then tell him to take you to court because according to the record you have already tried to have him removed and he doesn't exist. If he wants to fight in court then you can prove he exists and throw him out. Otherwise you have ownership and rights to the house because he cant if he is not real.

    Basically force him to get out or prove he exits. Just when you go to change the locks and what not make sure you have your court documents handy incase the police show up.  

  • Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Colton S.

    I tell you, this will be one of the deals I will remember for a long time. Will keep updating!!

  • Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi

    @John C S. im in South Africa, and the court date will be on the 28th of June, this is when the marshalls will be given the eviction papers to serve to the unlawful occupant. So will keep you updated after that!! 

  • Real estate investor, South Africa · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi @Kevin Harrison

    Yup I have no other option but to see this through. I will do as advised if he refuses to move out like a civilized human being. Sometimes people will force you to behave like animals, I dont know if its being in denial or he is just trying his luck. I respect the elderly but I tell you this old man is pushing me in the opposite direction. I best stay calm for now and wait for the 28th of June. 

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Hie Carol

    Banks know of these 'tenants from hell'. Other investors here on BP have offered incentives to such tenants to leave. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.