How NOT to buy a home from an auction website

How NOT to buy a home from an auction website

Pat GoodyearPro Member
Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes

I don't consider myself a newbie; i have 15 properties and have always bought distressed homes off the MLS. I saw a home that was going to be auctioned on homesearch.com and was cash only "occupied". I will say i did not do my due diligence. I should have read the threads here before bidding, and done as much research about the property as i could. I did drive by it once and reach out to the homeowner's son to find out if they were still living there. (they were not). I bid early when the auction opened. (MISTAKE #1) i bid myself up to reserve (MISTAKE #2), thinking now they would have to take my bid of $140,000. Two hours before the auction ended, another "bid" was placed. I now know this was the auction company bidding. The bid went back and forth. My "limit" was $175,000; I ended up bidding to $180,000. After the buyer fee it was $189,000.

I went back to the owner's son and left my number. The owner called me. He happily showed me the house. Where he had removed all the doors. The in ground pool that was so gorgeous in the pictures was trashed with a ripped liner and no equipment. He mentioned he took the pole barn to his new place. Yes the 2000 sq foot building that was in the pictures, and on the tax assessment and in the MLS listing. And....there was dead vehicles and equipment everywhere. OMG. Now I had instant regret.

  The barn retails for $30,000 unbuilt. I reached out to the realtor. I sent pictures. My realtor assured me they would look at everything. A week later I was told that either loss my $6000 earnest money or buy the house. I had offered $170,000 which I thought was fair. The bank refused. Then, i found a clause that said we both agreed to use an arbitrator. So i called the realtor back and asked how to proceed with that process. They called about an hour later to say they would refund my earnest money. 

 It is now relisted. I put in a bid for $140,000. They turned it down. Oh well. I learned several very important lessons. 

1Reply
23 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    your picutres are upside down.. is that snow ?

  • Pat GoodyearPro Member
    OP
    Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    Yes, I'm sorry I am not sure how that happened. Yes it is snow. Once it started melting the mess was even worse.

  • Ludowici, GA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    does it still arv over 189

  • Pat GoodyearPro Member
    OP
    Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    The ARV is around $250,000 but the repair/clean up costs I can't even begin to estimate. It needs a new roof, the pool needs a liner and mechanicals, the interior needs major updating, and then removing all the stuff. There are 3 or 4 tractor trailer backends there, vehicles, an industrial ice cream machine, old snowmobiles, a couple boats. All in unrepairable state.

  • Pat GoodyearPro Member
    OP
    Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    My thought was pool $4000; roof $6000, interior $25,000 (floors, kitchen, bathrooms, move walls), siding repairs $2000. Then the clean up - conservatively $5000. There are barrels of oil from his vehicles. Once I add in the carrying costs, realtor fees...it would be a break even or lose situation. If I got it for $140k...different story. 

  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2013 · 184 posts · 71 votes
    10y

    @Pat Goodyear

    It looks like a scene from the walking dead. You might need this place when the zombies are trying to eat you during the coming zombie apocalypse. 

    Thanks for the story, pictures, bidding details, and the mention of the arbitration in the contract. I learned something. Those auction sites always seem sketchy. It's helpful to learn they bid up their own listings, and the run for the hills when they are held to arbitration. Makes me think there is more going on that they don't want to come to light. Thank you for sharing your experience. 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    How do you know the auction company placed a bid?

  • Pat GoodyearPro Member
    OP
    Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    I don't have "proof", but usually if they have another bidder the house would automatically go to them as a secondary. Also the way the bidding occurred, at the last few hours. (At least from what I've read on here)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.