where to find your deed if it hasn't came in the mail

where to find your deed if it hasn't came in the mail

Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes

I purchased a property from a land bank in Tennessee. I started the purchasing process April 3rd then it closed on June 22nd. They said I would get the deed in the mail within 6 to 8 weeks. It's week 9! I know it's not that late but I suddenly want to go to ministry school and need tuition in a few weeks. it's worth 8 thousand I'm going to try and sell it quickly at about 6 thousand. But I'm afraid to do that until I have the deed in hand. I keep checking the register of deeds website but It's so outdated. I know I've asked  a similar question about this before but I'm running out of time if I'm gonna sell it quick. 

I've called a title company they said they wouldn't pull title until I had an offer on the property. 

Also does anyone know. The county said I would have clear title but I hear they don't always know what that means. Just in case it doesn't someone said you don't have to do a quite title if you let it sit for 4 years. It looks like the tax sale was over 4 years ago and it been with the county that long. I'm just curious if that would clear  it or is that 4 year after I purchase it from the county.

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

Find a friend with nationwide access that includes your property county in TN. 

Your original document should have been recorded on the designated closing date, even if you have not received original in mail. 

The real question: was the deed in fact recorded? 

You might need to find a local researcher or title abstracter who physically goes to court and pulls either a conformed, or better yet, a certified copy of your document while the original is in transit. Even if lost in mail, your certied copy of recorded doc will suffice to resell.

In His time, not yours.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Benton, TN · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    may i ask the county in tn

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Find a friend with nationwide access that includes your property county in TN. 

    Your original document should have been recorded on the designated closing date, even if you have not received original in mail. 

    The real question: was the deed in fact recorded? 

    You might need to find a local researcher or title abstracter who physically goes to court and pulls either a conformed, or better yet, a certified copy of your document while the original is in transit. Even if lost in mail, your certied copy of recorded doc will suffice to resell.

    In His time, not yours.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Lamb:

    may i ask the county in tn

     It was Shelby county

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @rick Harmon Thanks so much! I will try that 

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Shelby County has all deed records available to the public online.

    http://register.shelby.tn.us/index.php

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Chaisson:

    Shelby County has all deed records available to the public online.

    http://register.shelby.tn.us/index.php

     Thanks Steve! Yeah that's the scary part Mine doesn't show up. Yikes!


    I just decided to go ahead and advertised it on craigslist and facebook. But even if I get a cash offer or I do seller financing I'm going to make sure that it goes through escrow and gets title insurance on it so I don't leave the purchaser with any unforeseen issues.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Kimi McCarty It sounds like you don't know exactly What you've bought.  Spend a couple of hundred dollars for a title search/commitment, now!  Note, the title co. wouldn't do a "free" title search before you had it under contract to sell.  Better to get a nasty surprise now, rather than later.  You ever wonder why this "opportunity" was still available after being offered to the world?  Many of these guys reselling tax deed/liens are simply selling worthless junk.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Kimi McCarty you said 

    By "closed" do you mean a title company handled the transaction? Go back to that title company and ask them about the recording.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Kimi McCarty you said 

    By "closed" do you mean a title company handled the transaction? Go back to that title company and ask them about the recording.

    Yeah Thank you!  I did try that but they said "we can't pull the title until you have a buyer"....  in California the title companies look things up for you all the time. But I'm thinking possibly it was a communication issue and I failed to word my question correctly. So thank you for suggesting that I just reminded me. I think I should ask again.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    the land bank did say that they use fidelity title. that it would be a good to get title insurance before I sell it or just don't sell it cash without without going through that process. I asked them a lot of questions but weather I got the right answers, only time will tell. 

    I've probably made a lot of mistakes in this process that I can avoid in the future. However I'm learning a lot so that was worth it. 

    Thank you all for such helpful suggestions and ideas

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Wayne Brooks  you may have hit the nail on the head on this one... clearly there is some confusion.. luckily its not large dollars.. I hope it works out...

    @Kimi McCarty  you should be able to pop on Shelby county website put in the address and it should show you as the owner... or whatever name you told them to put the property into.. If the address comes up under a different or unknown name .. then you probably need to do some digging and see if in fact your deed got recorded.. but as I say its should take you all of 5 minutes on line to figure this out.. you either own it or you don't

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kimi McCarty:
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Kimi McCarty you said 

    By "closed" do you mean a title company handled the transaction? Go back to that title company and ask them about the recording.

    Yeah Thank you!  I did try that but they said "we can't pull the title until you have a buyer"....  in California the title companies look things up for you all the time. But I'm thinking possibly it was a communication issue and I failed to word my question correctly. So thank you for suggesting that I just reminded me. I think I should ask again.

     Yes remind them that "THEY" handled the original transaction and it appears they have not recorded it. Don't mention any future sale just the transaction they previously handled. Otherwise it will just confuse them. 

    PS sometimes transactions are indexed in different ways in the land records. If that is true in your area try searching in a different manor, like the tax ID# or plot # instead of your name.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Just an update! After several phone messages and emails I finally got through by contacting the manager of the land bank. I found that my property never got recorded. I just thought maybe their online resource was not updated.  Nope I just don't have a deed they found 120 properties that didn't get recorded. They are working on that now. I was sure it would be recorded by the end of this week. It wasn't LOL! 

    Also I advertised it on Facebook and through that I discovered something I would not have known. Someone sent me a letter they had from a title company stating that you can't get title insurance on these properties because they are redeemable for 7 years.... that sounds scary but my property taken in 2006 so I'm hopeful that it's insurable.

  • Visalia, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Finally Got It! I called back today because the website still wasn't showing it in my name but the manager at he land bank helped me look it up a different way and download it PDF. Was officially recorded on October 1rst.....

    Thank you all for the help and advise

  • Alta Loma, CA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Congratz.  I'm currently waiting for deeds to be recorded and was also told 30days, hope it doesn't end up being 4 months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.