Trying to make sense of county and other records on foreclosures - help?

Trying to make sense of county and other records on foreclosures - help?

Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I'm a total newbie, and I'm finding a lot of information...but I'm having trouble figuring out what it means...

For example, 

There's a SFR in Madison County, IL, that Foreclosure.com says is in Pre-forclosure

  • Market Value: $124,000

    Published: 2/11/2014

    Loan Amount: $66,326
    Loan Date: 12/18/2002

and Zillow also has that it is in Pre-foreclosure status.(today 1/8/2015)

The county assessors office gives me the name of the current owner (for Tax Year 2014!), which I look up on at the County Records office to find

12/23/2013(owner)

RELEASE OF MORTGAGE
12/17/2013(owner)

LIS PENDENS NOTICE OF FORECLOSURE

I also find a newspaper listing of foreclosures 

Dec 12, 2013

  • Midfirst Bank V. (owners) $50,549.23, address of SFR, 13-CH-949

So my questions are...Do these people still own this house? If so, what's with the foreclosure??  And why is the newspaper foreclosure date before the Lis Pendens even? And what does the amount listed in the newspaper foreclosure listing represent?

Obviously this is historical data and not a house I'm currently looking at, but I just want to be sure of what I'm looking at...

What I'm looking for is a SFR that is in Pre-Forclosure with a decent amount of equity to be able to buy under market value and rent or flip, depending on the house.

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this, and appreciate even more anyone who can help me out. 

Thanks!!

Julie

0Reply
20 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    @Julie Daniels - interesting series of steps you have listed above, would be more helpful to see the actual site and I could tell you what I see. You can PM me so you don't tell the address to the whole world, I am miles away from you down in sunny FL and can assure you I have no interest in trying to snake you out of a deal up in Chicago. Send me the address of the house via PM and I can tell you what I see. 

    Typically a notice in the paper would be the listing of the actual foreclosure sale (the day the property goes to auction and changes hands, from the previous owner to either the bank or a third party if someone else buys it at the auction). 

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    sorry St. Louis not Chicago, saw IL and automatically assumed Chicago. 

  • Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Brandon M. 

    Thanks! I sent you a private message.

  • Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Or...maybe I didn't. Sorry, I could create a colleague request, but I didn't see any other way to contact you...

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    @Julie Daniels -you did it right, sorry I didn't get my normal email when I get a message. I am looking now and will respond back in a few minutes. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.