Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Sol
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
What specific UD form is used to evict the prior owner from a foreclosed home in CA?

Andrew Sol
Posted Aug 16 2024, 12:11

The deed is recorded/perfected and the 3/90 Notice to Quit has been served.  Owner's not responding to cash for keys. The Unlawful Detainer forms on the county website are aimed at tenant evictions (with a lease).  The eviction packet the county provides includes the "UD-100 Complaint - Unlawful Detainer" form, but that form states on the bottom of the first page "Do not use this form for evictions after sale (Code Civ Proc 1161a)".  The 1161a section applies to situations where occupants hold over after the premises are sold.  I can't find any other appropriate form to use for this case.

What is the correct UD form to use against holdover prior owners?  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Aug 20 2024, 13:11

@Andrew Sol evictions in California are very tricky.  I use Silverstein Eviction Law and have so for over 20 years.  He is the man and it's not that expensive.  Just finished up another case with him last week.

Good Investing...

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Sol
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2024, 00:27
Thanks. I ended up using an eviction service to help with the eviction, although they don't employ an attorney so they can't give advice.  Cost is $599 to handle the 3 day notice, serving the unlawful detainer paperwork, and all the filings.  Seemed reasonable.  Other services were charging $900.  Do you mind my asking what an attorney would charge to handle a non-contested eviction (ie. 3-day notice through the default judgement)?

If my defendant replies to the UD, I may have to hire an atty to handle the trial.  Not sure I want to represent myself, although I understand many guys do.
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#2 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Aug 21 2024, 08:09

The attorney we use charges $800 for uncontested and $1,500 if contested. it's not wise to look for an inexpensive attorney when its hundreds of thousands of dollars at play. Bite the bullet and spend the money and use someone that specializes in the nuances and intricacies of evictions, especially in Commiefornia. 

I've got one property I foreclosed on in 2019. I'm still in court with the previous owner.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Sol
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2024, 18:29
Wow.  Still in court 5 years later.  Ouch.  
I agree with not being penny-wise and pound-foolish.  But on certain evictions of the owner after foreclosure (with no tenants involved), I've felt it's ok to use an eviction service to handle the paperwork.  If the defendant replies to the UD, then it's probably wise to hire an attorney to carry it forward.  Here, in so cal, I've seen attorneys quote upwards of $3k for uncontested.

One of the guys I've seen handle his own UD filings, does it to expedite the process. He's faster than the attorneys staff, with paperwork and filings.